My 1st Groat, my 2nd Cartwheel, then my 2nd Groat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had an enjoyable day in a paddock or two yesterday.

Found my first groat 1854. Ecstatic. Funnily enough as I was working my way back to the car I got another one 1842. Unbelievable.

I also found my 2nd Cartwheel (I think that is about 10 from this paddock now).

The other coins are a 1837 6d (bent), and 3 half pennies, the oldest is 1805 or 1806.

1502777313_p1050879reduced.jpg

1502777313_p1050882reduced.jpg

1502777314_p1050886_reduced.jpg

Ok i just had to teach myself some coinsspeak thanks to google i now know you are talking about coins.
Awesome finds i hope to make a collection myself soon.

Beauties Detectist :Y:
My daughter and I found a great condition 1854 groat at Talbot in the GT.
She read it as 4 Pence, but I wisely told her there was no such thing, having grown up on a thrippence (even spell check doesn't recognise that word1) each week for holiday pocket money. It was though.
Had to look it up on the internet that night. A very illuminating/thrilling find.
Well done with your two :Y:
I haven't found a cartwheel yet, but I concentrate on detecting for gold, so coins are a by-line for me.
Have found a "full house" though; all in one deep hole though - Silver had to explain that term to me. (Farthing, shilling, sixpence (3), thrippence, penny and ha'penny - spell checker also doesn't recognise that word). Someone must have dropped their purse and gotten well spanked when home :|

Thanks guys - yep, pretty happy. Very lucky and live near very old areas.

Fingers crossed on the Sov in this area. We've found about 4 beer taps and 3 spirit taps here too.

Bigwave - I do coins and relics in between gold trips as there is not too much gold in publicly available areas close to Canberra.

What is the other silver coin Detectist ?
Special day for you mate hey !
Well found !
:Y: :cool: :Y:
O:) :rainbow: O:)
:party: :party:

All very desirable coins for the average detectorist, well done! Your site is proving to be a treasure trove, very lucky to have history on your side in both the ACT & NSW - we came a bit later here in SA, hence such coins are a rarity. :Y:

Latest posts