Gday

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday All

I found this forum a few weeks ago when I started looking at Metal Detectors and prospecting. I have used Metal Detectors in the past, but got frustrated and didn't really pursue it. This was obviously because I had no idea what I was doing and was using a very basic / cheap detector. I have really enjoyed the research side of things this time round and have learnt a lot, just on this forum and YouTube.

I have spent a fair amount of time researching Detectors. On my budget, I have decided to go with The GM 1000 and can get one today at Anaconda for $1100.

I live near Frankston, Victoria and would love to hear any recommended spots locally?

Also, any suggestions what I should be doing Day 1 with the detector? I have bookmarked a number of setup / tips videos for the GM and was thinking of just playing around in the Garden and laying down some test pieces?

Thanks

Mick

Welcome to PA, Mick.

Gold Monster users come in two kinds - those who swear by them and those who swear at them! They're noisy little critters, but if you take the time to get to know them well, they can certainly find gold. It's mostly shallow and very small, but there's plenty of people with $$$$ detectors who are very happy to find those same pieces and the current gold price can certainly make it worth the effort involved.

Your Day 1 program sounds good to me and will quickly get you used to the sounds and distances of a variety of targets. If you can get to a beach, the digging is easy and there's generally plenty of targets, especially with the hyper-sensitive Gold Monster, which will go off on the tiniest bits of foil! Stick to the dry sand - salt water/wet sand will soon drive you nuts.

Sand pits in parks are another easy dig area - wear a fluoro shirt so you look like a council worker and if anybody does question you, tell 'em you're worried about syringes where the kids play.

Good luck in your endeavours!

Welcome to PA, Mick.

Gold Monster users come in two kinds - those who swear by them and those who swear at them! They're noisy little critters, but if you take the time to get to know them well, they can certainly find gold. It's mostly shallow and very small, but there's plenty of people with $$$$ detectors who are very happy to find those same pieces and the current gold price can certainly make it worth the effort involved.

Your Day 1 program sounds good to me and will quickly get you used to the sounds and distances of a variety of targets. If you can get to a beach, the digging is easy and there's generally plenty of targets, especially with the hyper-sensitive Gold Monster, which will go off on the tiniest bits of foil! Stick to the dry sand - salt water/wet sand will soon drive you nuts.

Sand pits in parks are another easy dig area - wear a fluoro shirt so you look like a council worker and if anybody does question you, tell 'em you're worried about syringes where the kids play.

Good luck in your endeavours!
Thanks Grubstake, i appreciate it :)

This may be a VERY silly question, but i have some old Gold flakes from Sovereign Hill and was thinking of using those for testing or should I use Lead, if you think that is better? I have read a lot of people echoing your comments about getting used to the sounds. Will Lead give the same sounds as Gold Or am I training my ears for the wrong sound?

Good to know about the beach, sand pits (and the fluoro 🤣)

Lead and gold targets give very similar detector signals, so either will do for testing. But if your Sovereign Hill gold flakes are too tiny to be individually detectable, putting a number of them together still won't provide a detectable target unfortunately.

Lead and gold targets give very similar detector signals, so either will do for testing. But if your Sovereign Hill gold flakes are too tiny to be individually detectable, putting a number of them together still won't provide a detectable target unfortunately.
Good to know. Thank you 😀

Side note, I just came across Jim Tippitt’s story on YouTube (million dollars laying on beach) and am much more interested in Beaches now 😂

Latest posts