First Detector Advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday All

I had finally decided on a GM 1000 and could pick one up from Anaconda for $1100. I have just come across a Second Hand (New and never used in box) NOX 800 for $600 and would love to hear your advice / recommendation? I am happy to spend the $1100 on the GM, if it is the best option, but $600 seems like a bargain.

I am primarily looking at using for Gold, but other options are always good.

Thanks

Mick

Gday All

I had finally decided on a GM 1000 and could pick one up from Anaconda for $1100. I have just come across a Second Hand (New and never used in box) NOX 800 for $600 and would love to hear your advice / recommendation? I am happy to spend the $1100 on the GM, if it is the best option, but $600 seems like a bargain.

I am primarily looking at using for Gold, but other options are always good.

Thanks

Mick
Don't buy until u have done more research.

The Equinox 800 is a much more effective general-purpose detector than the GM1000, with a very good discrimination function and the ability to detect even in wet sand and salt water at the beach, however these functions won't help much when you use it to fossick in the goldfields. Reported successes hunting for gold with the EQ800 usually seem to involve fitting the small, 6 inch coil, which makes the machine hyper-sensitive to tiny nuggets. Does the $600 machine come with that accessory?

The Equinox 800 is a much more effective general-purpose detector than the GM1000, with a very good discrimination function and the ability to detect even in wet sand and salt water at the beach, however these functions won't help much when you use it to fossick in the goldfields. Reported successes hunting for gold with the EQ800 usually seem to involve fitting the small, 6 inch coil, which makes the machine hyper-sensitive to tiny nuggets. Does the $600 machine come with that accessory?
Thank you, that is really helpful. I have heard that the 6” makes the detectors more sensitive. And purchasing that at a later stage is certainly something I would do. I had a look at the NOX 800 and it doesn’t come with the 6”.

From memory the 6” is 3-4 hundred dollars? If this coil make the NOX comparable to the GM, it looks like a good option?

Based on your above comment, "I am primarily looking at using for Gold, but other options are always good", I reckon the EQ600/NOX would be a good option for you as a starter machine.

Once you get some goldfields experience, if you find that nugget hunting is where you want to spend your time, then a PI machine with its better ability to handle mineralised ground and penetrate deeper, like the AlgoForce 1500 or SDC2300, will no doubt become a priority.

Based on your above comment, "I am primarily looking at using for Gold, but other options are always good", I reckon the EQ600/NOX would be a good option for you as a starter machine.

Once you get some goldfields experience, if you find that nugget hunting is where you want to spend your time, then a PI machine with its better ability to handle mineralised ground and penetrate deeper, like the AlgoForce 1500 or SDC2300, will no doubt become a priority.
Thank you. I will let you know how I go. Your help is appreciated, as usual.

Agree, sdc 2300 s fantastic. Found my first gold at Notleys (whpstick) 1 week ago

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    3.7 MB
Agree, sdc 2300 s fantastic. Found my first gold at Notleys (whpstick) 1 week ago
Well done @Benosan1
I am still chasing down my first piece although I have not yet got a pi detector. I have just come into a couple of extra $ and was thinking of getting a second hand gsx5000 as my first pi detector. It is a lot of coin and I am weary of fake detectors in the market too. Anyhow I am not rushing into it….. research, research!
Good luck @MickB, I was also considering the sdc2300 for my first pi detector.
Happy hunting.

I am still chasing down my first piece although I have not yet got a pi detector. I have just come into a couple of extra $ and was thinking of getting a second hand gsx5000 as my first pi detector. It is a lot of coin and I am weary of fake detectors in the market too. Anyhow I am not rushing into it….. research, research!
I was also considering the sdc2300 for my first pi detector.
Either of the GPX5000 or the SDC2300 would be a good choice for a first PI detector - both are well-proven, solidly-built machines, that work well even in highly-mineralised goldfields. There's plenty of used ones around too and Minelab dealers should give you a warranty with their trade-in machines.

We all start gold prospecting with the vision of a large nugget in our minds or at least the back thereof.
Reality is though that you would have a better chance of getting a $100K nugget, by putting the detector money into Tattslotto tickets, hoping to win a big prize and buying such a nugget.
To start a successful gold prospecting hobby, we have to learn the ropes and finding gold on a regular basis is the best way to do that. That is going to happen with small gold not big gold.
I can think of only one machine that fits the criteria of being relatively inexpensive, easy to use, reliable and a proven gold finder in all types of soil anywhere.
That is a 2300.
Second hand GPX machines such as a 5000 or 4500 whilst very capable and versatile in the right hands can be much more difficult to operate especially for newcomers and the risk of failure is greater. A gold monster, as a VLF machine, whilst good on small gold may require very specific mild soil conditions and not suitable for many goldfields areas.
In terms of finding numerous small nuggets on which a newcomer should be cutting his or her teeth, the 2300 can still hold its own against more expensive machines.
I have yet to see reports of a machine that will hold its own with the best on both the gold and treasure fronts so my recommendation would be to go for the 2300.
To be frank if you can't find gold with a 2300 there would be a problem and in the worst case if you do not enjoy finding gold you can always sell a detector like a 2300 for well over what you need to pay for a good treasure machine.

Last edited:
A lot depends on how often you can get to go prospecting for gold. It's a great hobby for singles with time on their hands or for couples if they both enjoy time out in some of the most remote places or if you're lucky perhaps beautiful bush settings but most known gold producing areas have be badly littered with human waste of all kinds. Some people can't handle or don't enjoy the bush and therefore the attraction of prospecting soon fades.

We already spent time out gem hunting so the conversion to gold was not difficult so we started out with two detectors. It's not much fun if one person is left at camp if they enjoy the hobby as well. Most of us start out with a basic machine but soon upgrade so I think buying second hand is a good idea but if you're after gold buy a machine dedicated to gold. The Equinox machines are not going to find you much gold. There's no doubt the SDC2300 is an excellent gold machine but most will soon upgrade to a GPX6000 if they have the opportunity to hunt for gold on a regular basis. At twice the price it's more likely to pay for its self but you'd have to be sure it won't just collect dust in the shed.

We started out with a Garrett ATX and a Whites GMT. Both paid for themselves but we soon upgraded to a Minelab GPX4500 and a Minelab SDC2300 we still have these machines 10 years down the track and several kilos of gold later. I prefer the GPX6000 now simply because of its light weight and convenience but Mrs M still swings her original SDC2300. Most of our gold has been found with the GPX4500 and I still think it's a better machine but the GPX6000 wins on the very small gold and the general ease of operation.

There are the new machines on the market, the Garrett Axium and the AlgoForce 1500 but I've not seen enough of these machines to recommend them.