First Detector Advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, I know over half a dozen folk that havent found any gold ever in the 5 years they have owned a detector.

Usual factors apply:
1) inappropriate machine for gold

2) marginal ground -only going to a localish convenient area of low quality

3) insufficient time on ground each year-like 2-3 days a year

4) insufficient knowledge - dont really know their detector because they dont use or test it enough.

Sounds like Douglas can scratch off issue 2 & 3 so he is down to getting appropriate machine and getting out there and learning its language.

The options were covered well in the previous posts.

All would work fine but my personal bias would be to an SDC to start with and either you'll stick with her or after 3years you'll decide that a 6k ( or latest) is worth the extra.

simply cant go wrong with an SDC. So capable and so little to learn.

Thanks for your insights @Moneybox
I am semi-retired now (for almost a year) and full time travelling this great country. Already I have been through some areas where I would have spent weeks if I had a pi machine and I haven’t left QLD yet. We are well set-up for off grid/ remote living and love this lifestyle. Prospecting is the ideal hobby for me as I often go wandering the bush exploring for hours and hours anyhow. Not much for sitting around most days (itchy feet).
I have read that the early gpx4500s were a good machine but am thinking that I might need

Apologies I got called away…..anyhow finishing off…..
I have read that the early gpx4500s were a good machine but am thinking that I might need something that is a bit better on smaller pieces hence the 5000 was possibly a good option for me. No doubt I have heaps of learning to do no matter what machine I get.
Cheers Doug

The 45 and 50 are both very good machines but even among seasoned prospectors there are opinion differences. I have expressed mine in other posts but don't want to add anything more here.
As a new user what is the question that raises?
Probably how are you going to get the best out of either, if even seasoned prospectors can't agree? The answer is probably with some difficulty.
I suggest therefore that you forget a 45 or 50 and go for a 2300.
With many of its performance specs built in, the few remaining settings make it so much easier to use and will still outperform 45s and 50s them on the number of small nuggets it can find.
On our last trip West, my wife and I both using 2300s (I ditched my 7000) went over a patch I had previously done with a 45 and found an extra 140 small nuggets between us.
Additionally, it is much more compact (foldable) and storable if travelling and seems to be able to handle mineralised soils as well as any machine.
It just works and is hard to stuff up.
You should also think about what you do as your next step. If gold prospecting doesn't fully "grab you" a 2300 can be easily carried with you for occasional use. If you want to pursue gold detecting to a greater extent and want to upgrade to a more expensive machine a 2300 would still retain much of its value as a trade in or resale.

Last edited: