CTX addiction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last night's collection. I now have a 17 inch coil - which is a monster but does seem to go deeper, it is also a 2 cent magnet apparently.

1431836480_16_may_2015.jpg

the 17 inch is difficult with multiple targets. Maybe I'm getting better with the machine generally but if I get multiple hits I stop and swing from a different angle. As soon as I hear my favourite high tone I then go into pin point mode. Also pin pointing is a little harder but in the course of last night's hunt I got better at that with the new coil.
If the display says 20cm with the big coil then it seems take about 2 or so cm's off that - this is only an observation from last night. Day light hunting will prove this right or wrong. What I do know is that most of the stuff in the post above came from the same spot as 2 night's ago... this is all the stuff I must have missed. Most was just a little deeper.

I will keep posting as I do more hunts with the 17 inch coil.
If anyone is a user of the bigger coil on their CTX and has advice I'd love to hear it too.

Robert Le Mal said:
the 17 inch is difficult with multiple targets. Maybe I'm getting better with the machine generally but if I get multiple hits I stop and swing from a different angle. As soon as I hear my favourite high tone I then go into pin point mode. Also pin pointing is a little harder but in the course of last night's hunt I got better at that with the new coil.
If the display says 20cm with the big coil then it seems take about 2 or so cm's off that - this is only an observation from last night. Day light hunting will prove this right or wrong. What I do know is that most of the stuff in the post above came from the same spot as 2 night's ago... this is all the stuff I must have missed. Most was just a little deeper.

I will keep posting as I do more hunts with the 17 inch coil.
If anyone is a user of the bigger coil on their CTX and has advice I'd love to hear it too.

Cheers for that, yeah really just looking at the big coil for beach work and our beaches are not that trashy.

Nice haul. You must have been in heaven with thos e targets today. Tho the ones n two cents would have been annoying

yeah I was digging the ones & two just in case they were something cool, I was afraid some of the 2 cent signals might have been half pennies lying end up or something weird. Most of the stuff came from one patch so I can only guess there was a fair in the place or something similar.

I find the 17"a pain in ass, trashy country...

Yes, I can work out that there may be more than one target, but all the extra swinging and pin pointing and then on knees with a real pin pointer etc... Then I start to change settings - not always good.

Swap back to the 11"and much better - easer to seperate some items and a more stable target ID. The time saved, is somewhat taken up by the smaller steps, but I find it less frustrating.

Want a 5"x 10" but may have to settle with a 6" for the trashy places I want to do.

thanks Duck, your pointer on research with maps helped alot, again thank you. And yes I have some more plans ... but will wait and see what the CTX finds.
Angermanagement - totally valid, there may be some spots where I'll have to swap back the standard coil. At the moment the novelty of a little extra depth and swinging something that looks like it belongs on part of an AA radar is working for me :)

last night, WW2 army camp near Melbourne.

got excited about the ring but it looks like really old costume jewelry.
No markings on the 1939-1945 Star.
Caribiner was in long grass under a tree - thought it was a coke can and nearly didn't bother checking.
Shell is maybe something like a 50 cal. Very large, only marking on base that I can make out is "1945"
The "Australian Military Forces" buttons are both slightly different patterns.
1862 penny is my second oldest coin - very happy.
1432072197_20_may_15_1862_penny_a.jpg

1432072197_20_may_15_star_n_buttons_a.jpg

1432072197_20_may_15_total_finds_a.jpg

Sandta - I've never fired a 50 cal, only got to play with 7.62 & 5.56 when I pretended to be a soldier. However I'm wondering if it's something larger than 50 cal?
Wally, this is only a fraction of the total site used during WW2, I can only hope there's more cool stuff to find.

That penny and medal are great finds, to get both in one session, Awesome.

I love those WW2 sites as you never know what will come out of the ground. I am sure you are itching to get back there.

You have me fired up now, so I had better sneek in a quick detect at my local spot today. :p

I'd be back at it this weekend but I landed a gig playing antique accordion at the Port of Echuca this weekend - anyone know of places near Echuca worth detecting, haven't done any research so I have no clue :-( ???

Latest posts