Best Detector Combination for Two People

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been panning for a few years and beach detecting on an Equinox 900 for the last 2. Me and my partner are moving from Sydney to WA permanently in the next year and we would like to detect the goldfields in WA. We both enjoy getting stuck in and enjoying the adventure so planning to take it at least semi seriously.

So looking at getting two PI detectors, one for me and one for her and two that compliment each other for small/shallow and larger/deeper. Initially I thought a GPZ 7000 for me as I can handle the weight better and a GPX 6000 for her. But the more I read the more I'm leaning towards a GPX 5000 and running different coils. Either buying two and run different coils on each or maybe start with one GPX 5000 and upgrade if/when we get a chance to pay it off.

Any thoughts?

I suggest you watch the four videos posted on PA yesterday by @Detrack showing the first part of his latest trek to the golden west:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...hink-of-get-there-one-year.42652/#post-682342

Take note of the terrain, which is not untypical of the goldfields here - open, flattish ground, with widely scattered, shallow nuggets. The biggest piece shown in the videos is a sunbaker - found lying on the surface! WA gold is predominantly not very deep and many prospectors utilise big, lightweight coils to sweep the maximum area, rather than for better depth. Covering ground to find the next patch in those wide-open spaces is a key consideration, so the lightweight GPX6000 has quickly become very popular here, as elsewhere.

Any of the PI detectors you mention above will undoubtedly do the job in the WA goldfields, but some are way more expensive, so I'd say your budget is the main consideration.

Latest posts