Ancient Roman or Celtic coin ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, I missed that post.
I doubt this coin is antique, cast celtic coins of that time are much smaller in diameter (look on google for "potin"), at least in Gaul/Germany/Brittain.
Philippe 2 of Macedonia coins were the model for celtic coins, but aall of them have an horse on one side, and some kind of portrait on the other side, which is not the case here.

As for the presence of Roman Celtic coins in Australia... well, I've lost some myself: I keep a few roman coins in my wallet, and I've lost a few.
I found them back in Europe, have quite a lot of those, they are worn out with little value, so if someone finds them, it will be fun!

Wow this has really blown up. I am the guy from the other thread, we have the coin found in New Zealand.

I have found this, and emailed the museum asking if they have any more info. At least we know what it's made of, and that it's fake.

https://finds. org. uk/database/artefacts/record/id/713555

Just remove the spaces.

Paulmarr said:
See post #4 ?

Huh?

So I emailed the museum who documented the British find. And this is what I got back.

"Hi - no we don't have any record of manufacturer - according to the PAS database, the edge shows evidence of dressing (removing the casting ridge) with a modern file when genuine coin should have been struck between dies rather than cast. So it wouldn't need a very sophisticated workshop. The suggestion of a tourist souvenir piece is one way of explaining their widespread distribution!

Regards,
Richard"

Looks like it will remain a mystery.

Many more now being reported in Europe. What's more analysis shows that they are a copper-zinc alloy(brass) which would rule out any Celtic source.
95% chance that they are indeed fantasy pieces. There will always be 5% who believe in a miraculous find!

I have found one in Sweden about 25-30 years ago. Back then I tried to find out where it came from but had no luck. Now I've been searching the Internet and found this forum. Really interesting. I also found this:

www. standardmedia .co.ke/lifestyle/article/2000178338/mombasa-mystery-coin-could-be-the-oldest-ever-found-in-kenya (delete the space in link)

My coin looks like the pic in post #21. Horseman on the other side as well but little more details.

I want to know why it's spread over the world and where it comes from. Makes no sense to me. As far as I've read it was discovered in Sweden, Australia, new Zeeland, Netherlands, UK and Kenya.

Sorry if my English is bad and I hope you can understand me. I really hope we can solve this mystery.

Message is very clear idage! Thanks for adding two more countries to the list. We have given up trying to explain this mystery. Maybe some well-travelled tourist has decided to create a puzzle for detectorists. :/

Thanks for your reply archeoserf. I forgot to tell how I found it. It was in a large peat package. This is why I think it is an old coin. It could have been in the soil for a long time. Or at least hope it's an old coin. I'll let you know if I find out anything new. I will not give up haha

That is part of the puzzle - they are mostly found in places where you expect to find ancient artefacts.

That is part of the puzzle - they are mostly found in places where you expect to find ancient artefacts. There is a thread on a forum on treasurenet.com called Celtic coins - real or fake with more finds described.

Cool, thanks. I will have a look at it.

The bastard who placed all the coins must be laughing real hard at us. Haha

Latest posts