Wild weather overseas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 1*c here and tomorrow we got 70 to 80mph winds coming, Great for Wind Generators and Kite Flying or drying ya Draws quick time but not much good for anything else, :/ :mad: :mad: :mad:

At 11:45am here it was still -1*c and now I'm having a heat wave :eek: It's now 0*c @ 12:00 lunchtime, :fire: :sunny: :sunny:

Ridge Runner said:
It's 1*c here and tomorrow we got 70 to 80mph winds coming, Great for Wind Generators and Kite Flying or drying ya Draws quick time but not much good for anything else, :/ :mad: :mad: :mad:
Not even that.
"Production increases the faster the wind speed but at a certain point, the turbines shut themselves off for safety. They can handle speeds up until then by angling the blades so they can take more wind without going faster. But once wind speed reaches 50 miles an hour, the turbines are no longer safe to operate and are shut down".
"With high wind ride through, the wind turbine will gradually reduce power output instead of shutting down completely. This results in a more stable power output at high wind speeds".
If only the renewable life were more simple...I'd go fly a kite if only it were not so uncomfortable. My draws are dry....

goldierocks said:
Ridge Runner said:
Not even that.
"Production increases the faster the wind speed but at a certain point, the turbines shut themselves off for safety. They can handle speeds up until then by angling the blades so they can take more wind without going faster. But once wind speed reaches 50 miles an hour, the turbines are no longer safe to operate and are shut down".
"With high wind ride through, the wind turbine will gradually reduce power output instead of shutting down completely. This results in a more stable power output at high wind speeds".
If only the renewable life were more simple...I'd go fly a kite if only it were not so uncomfortable. My draws are dry....

Two nights ago it was -23*c in Scotland, It was -8/-9 here, The wind this past week here was gusting up to around 33mph,

It's bucketing down in Cue.

1613384685_dryblower2_15-2-21.jpg

Why? well because I'm nearly ready to find some dry dirt :)

1613384789_dryblower_15-2-21.jpg

Well not really, we're off to Geraldton for a few days for some medical. We've not seen our house since it was broken into last year so we might have a few repairs while we're there.

Too many people report that their property has been broken into . Spend a bit of money on security . Hidden Go-pro or two , on remote properties . You could also set up a beam sensor that will set of a noisy alarm . But not much good if your nearest neighbor is 10 kms. away .... Look at your property and think how you would break in ? They always go for the easiest spot .

goldierocks said:
Ridge Runner said:
Not even that.
Don't get me wrong. I like renewables but in the depths of the Texas winter they had to use a fossil fuel powered helicopter using a fossil fuel made chemical to defrost the fossil fuel made wind turbines because they froze stiff or perhaps the weight of the ice would make restarting them a danger. It is a bit ironic but I guess you have to start somewhere.
1613554306_eupgdx3xmaetxxo.jpg

Goldfreak said:
goldierocks said:
Ridge Runner said:
Not even that.
Don't get me wrong. I like renewables but in the depths of the Texas winter they had to use a fossil fuel powered helicopter using a fossil fuel made chemical to defrost the fossil fuel made wind turbines because they froze stiff or perhaps the weight of the ice would make restarting them a danger. It is a bit ironic but I guess you have to start somewhere. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10082/1613554306_eupgdx3xmaetxxo.jpg

That's old news...photo was taken in 2015. Apparently now they design the blades with de-icing by a carbon fiber covering like a planes wing and also by pumping warm air inside the blades. They are fully automated with ice detectors etc... Standard practice in most of Europe, the USA is getting there but is behind.

A-team said:
Goldfreak said:
goldierocks said:
Ridge Runner said:
Not even that.
Don't get me wrong. I like renewables but in the depths of the Texas winter they had to use a fossil fuel powered helicopter using a fossil fuel made chemical to defrost the fossil fuel made wind turbines because they froze stiff or perhaps the weight of the ice would make restarting them a danger. It is a bit ironic but I guess you have to start somewhere. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10082/1613554306_eupgdx3xmaetxxo.jpg

That's old news...photo was taken in 2015. Apparently now they design the blades with de-icing by a carbon fiber covering like a planes wing and also by pumping warm air inside the blades. They are fully automated with ice detectors etc... Standard practice in most of Europe, the USA is getting there but is behind.
That's good to hear. I would have thought they could have some small heating elements or something. Generally when the cold is biting power demand is up and the wind is blowing so it would be great if they could be running at that time.

Yes, it looks a bit primitive. But I sometimes wonder how the sums are done in terms of carbon input from renewables machinery manufacture, especially if heavily subsidised, given the high percentage power input in any manufacture. And I wonder about young Swedish girls sailing to climate conferences with a couple of others in a carbon fibre yacht, to reduce emissions. And what the input is re-starting power generations when we have that "no lights" day each year....

I also wonder a bit what the effect of all the extra processing of cobalt, lithium, germanium, gallium, cadmium will be environmentally, if not emission-wise (although sulphur dioxide would be a factor). There are no free lunches.

I recon there's another one starting too
1614685385_screenshot_2021-03-02-21-36-47.jpg

out from Airlie Beach/Mackay
1614685446_screenshot_2021-03-02-21-41-21.jpg

Latest posts