Wombat state forest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All. I’m fairly new to this and just after some advice on where to go in wombat state forest In Victoria. Are there any parts of the forest that are hard to traverse so less likely to have been gone over, I like a challenge, am an experienced abseiler and I have the Australian geology map so I know where to watch for shafts.
I understand there are prospecting boundaries for wombat state forest which I will be looking into tonight, but I was looking at somewhere like this!
Thanks.

Welcome to PA, Adzzy.

As a prospecting newbie, I reckon items #1, #2, #3... on your field trip agenda should be to spend as much time as possible familiarising yourself with whatever prospecting gear you will be employing. IMHO, you'd be wise to forget about 'spiderman' descents into unseen valleys, until you are thoroughly across the effective use of your prospecting equipment. Trying to run before you can walk is seldom a productive prospecting strategy, in my experience.

Welcome to PA, Adzzy.

As a prospecting newbie, I reckon items #1, #2, #3... on your field trip agenda should be to spend as much time as possible familiarising yourself with whatever prospecting gear you will be employing. IMHO, you'd be wise to forget about 'spiderman' descents into unseen valleys, until you are thoroughly across the effective use of your prospecting equipment. Trying to run before you can walk is seldom a productive prospecting strategy, in my experience.
‘Spider-Man descents’.. love the analogy. I guess my reasoning for wanting to find more secluded land is if I go to places many others have been before, I’ll likely be disappointed, I love adventure and I guess it’s not just about the prospecting. I don’t plan on gung-ho into the bush, I’ll do my research, spend some time wandering around and panning until I start with a high banker etc.
I’m probably getting ahead of myself but I usually do with most new things. Thanks for the reply

‘Spider-Man descents’.. love the analogy. I guess my reasoning for wanting to find more secluded land is if I go to places many others have been before, I’ll likely be disappointed, I love adventure and I guess it’s not just about the prospecting. I don’t plan on gung-ho into the bush, I’ll do my research, spend some time wandering around and panning until I start with a high banker etc.
I’m probably getting ahead of myself but I usually do with most new things. Thanks for the reply
I have thought about just taking a bucket or two out and taking it home, I guess I’m better off doing that until I can use the high banker efficiently.

I guess my reasoning for wanting to find more secluded land is if I go to places many others have been before, I’ll likely be disappointed, I love adventure and I guess it’s not just about the prospecting. I don’t plan on gung-ho into the bush, I’ll do my research, spend some time wandering around and panning until I start with a high banker etc.
The beauty of alluvial prospecting in rivers and creeks is that the gold they contain can be at least in part replenished over time by the natural processes of landslides, hillside and riverbank erosion, flood-waters moving riverbed gravels, tree falls exposing unworked ground, etc. "Places many others have been before" can become productive once again!

You mention panning and highbanking, but don't overlook crevicing/sniping, which can be a very productive and enjoyable prospecting method:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...-a-rewarding-way-to-cool-off-in-summer.39962/