Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DocJohnson9, Yes mate i have been doing a lot of experimenting with large coils on the SPP. I tried to find my paper this morning for you which i wrote down the results. From memory doing air test with 18" commander mono coil, coil was ground balanced to the ground, Gain 10 and coil was laying on the ground and targets waved over the top of coil (This is the best way to do air tests IMO). A 5c coin 12" 50 c coin 16" $2 coin - 14" don't forget these were air tests, but i did do an in ground test with 5 cent coin and it was about right.

Hi Doc the spp battery life is 4 to 5 hr but that's no big drama just use the chargeable batteries for half a day .In the other pack you can put a set of rechargeable in it and that will give you 2 rechargeable battery packs, they can be charged with the standard charger or in the field use a invertor with the standard charger.
As fare as coils i liked using the 14x7 nugget finder they are around $375 as Roscoe said the 8 commander works very well on the spp
There are some new accessories to be released this year for the spp regards john :)

Thanks for the replies lads, it's much appreciated as I'm still very much a novice in this game.

So hypothetically, (not thinking about targets in the ground as size, shape, the way it's laying etc etc all help determine signal strength) if the ground conditions were right, the settings were correct and you were using the right coil, could the SPP punch 20" deep or is that way off it's limits?

To many ifs on the large target ,may be there are not to many 20 inch targets
it most likely could, but think how many small pieces of gold are out there to large pieces of gold regards john :)

What I mean though John, is if I was to put this detector to the ground with the right set up on this machine, with no target in the ground to detect, could the SPP send a pulse 20" deep?

docjohnson9 said:
What I mean though John, is if I was to put this detector to the ground with the right set up on this machine, with no target in the ground to detect, could the SPP send a pulse 20" deep?

It's all relative to the target size, composition, shape and porosity and ground conditions, it's near on impossible to judge how deep a PI detector will go without a target to measure its effective depth. I'm sure the SPP could pick up a large metal object at 20", but for its main purpose as a gold detector, most targets will be small, and hence the depth ability will be a lot shallower. The SPP also has a fixed pulse delay setting, so that will also limit the depth of the SPP, compared to the more expensive PI detectors which have an adjustable pulse width.

In fact on another forum a guy was detecting a ww2 bomber site with the SPP, and managed to pick up a .50cal bullet at 67cm, but that may have been in lightly mineralised ground compared to what we have in Australia.

You do have to take into account that the SPP is an entry level PI detector, so if you are after maximum possible depth on whatever targets you intend to look for, a more expensive option like a Whites TDI Pro Oz, or Minelab GPX series detector with more adjustability may suit.

Don't underestimate the SPP on depth it runs extreamly smooth with a large coil (smoother than other PI detectors) allowing you to hear deeper targets very easy, also don't think being locked into 10usec delay is a disadvantage either as all the testing Iv done against the TDI pro shows very little difference adjusting pulse delay on gold' maybe on coins but not gold.
With a 12x16 coil on the SPP will detect a 8lb hammer in a air test 30+ inches so yes it will send a pulse 20"

The SPP will get a good responce on a .1gram and you will detect smaller with a 5x9 folded coil.
Lots of things to take into account, but the SPP is very hard to beat in its price range.

Once again, thanks for the replies guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the SPP to top of the line detectors and I obviously know there are a lot of varying factors to determine how deep you can detect a target.

The depth question is more to create a bigger picture for myself so I can sort of work backwards after understanding it's capabilities.

As I said I'm new to this game and have only ever used the Whites GMT.

Outback said:
turps123 said:
Hi all,
Just purchased the new Whites SPP detector from the supplier in Donolly :) . The detector sets up easy, ground balances well, and is light to use. So far I have only found old rust and wire :( , but the detector seems to pick up targets well. Will post more about the detector when it's had some use.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Turps ,

Got a mate who wants a SPP , can you say who is selling them at Donolly & how much they are please ? :)

Cheers
Outback .
Listen...Outback...I can't deal with that photo when my oxygen pump and my heart pills are in short supply. Are you trying to finish me off?!

Docjohnson9, To really see or understand how deep this detector can go with out ground mineral effects is at the beach. At the beach i have given up many times on targets that were just to deep to get out on the beach. One day i was determined to see what one of these deep targets was, so after a good length of time of digging i had a whole the size of about two bath tubs put together. It ended up being a small plate of iron encrusted with black barnacles around it. The thing came out the size of a soft ball but once the barnacles were hammered off it was the size of match box.

In the Gold fields the ground is very mineralised and its this high mineral content that distorts the metal detectors magnetic field and prevents it from reaching the deep targets, unlike at the beach. The SPP in theory should go deep on larger targets, but this is unproven in the field. There is more and more SPP's out there now and time will tell.

Oldhand, I hope it is a Lithium battery.

Have to agree with Roscoe about deep targets at the beach, I have dug to 50-60cms on solid iron junk, but also was able to signal on small items of jewellery like earrings at 10-20cms. All this with the standard 12" coil. Needless to say I'm very satisfied with the depth of the SPP on unmineralised ground, just got to get over to Vic. to give it a true workout !.....

Old Hand, what size coil is being released?
Adrian.

Spp with the standard coil hits big old pieces of steel down 50cm+ in the vic gold fields, but I prefer the miner John folded 8 coil 711 as a good all rounder, very quiet.

Regards Daryl.

I Asked the Same Question On The Whites Forum And the Reply Was Gain @7, Timing @25 and The Person Said 48" Inches /1.2 meters on A 2 ltr coke bottle sized Target, and the Had Photo's to prove It, And A Excavator To Dig The Hole,

So Don't Worry Too Much About Depth on Big Targets,, Just Worry about whats going to Give out First, Ya Heart Or Ya Back, lol

good Luck, John

Sunrise Boy I have had both detectors I feel its hard to compare a VLF detector with disc to a Pulse Induction detector
But to answer your question I mainly detect for gold so the SPP was the detector to use I tried the MXT PRO in some spots but found the SPP produced some nuggets so its a better detector for that purpose in my opinion, MXT does have its spot but it is for coin and relic hunting if you are lucky you may find some gold regards john :)

SunriseBoy said:
How does the SPP compare with the MXT Pro?

As old hand said, In good Ground the MXT Can and Will Hold its own, Even more So with the 12"/300 Coil, But in Oz we got Some if not the Worst ground in The world for Detectors, Its like detecting in A Blacksmith's Shop,

That's why Machines Like the SPP are So Good,

john

I just bought 8 x Eneloop, rechargeable Ni-MH, 1.2v, 2000 mAh batteries plus supplied smart charger.

Just want to know if these will be fine to use with my SPP?

Also, I know these batteries will hang around the 1.2v from full charge to being dead, but is there much difference in regards to sensitivity/depth when comparing these batteries I've bought and 1.5v alkaline batteries, in lets say, the first hour or so?

Latest posts