Where to go? Vic Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just looking for some advice on where to go for our first trip in the Vic Goldfields. The family & I are travelling over to Melbourne from Adelaide to watch the mighty Bombers belt the Pies next weekend and have a few days on the way back to visit the goldfields & looking for some suggestions on where to go.

We are absolute novices & have never been through any of the goldfields areas other than Ballarat. I have looked on the Parks Victoria maps but most of these areas are away from Ballarat & I wanted to see what people thought. We will be using a GPX 4500 detector.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Westies. Ararat on you way home and north of there Avoca, Maryborough etc. also

Hey mate, i am no expert ( being from SA myself also) but i would just suggest to pick on of the areas (any really) and work the old timers diggings.
Once you pick a location i would get one of John Tully gold detecting spiral bound books on that area and that will give you all the info and diggings in that area to start with. Look them up on Ebay or they will sell them in detector shops in GT

Maryborough and Bendigo are both nice towns that my wife enjoys visiting and there are plenty of areas around both places to prospect.

Avoca Lamplough and Homebush are all close to each other there is accommodation at Avoca so you do not have to travel to get to the gold fields regards john :Y:

Latest posts