Watsons creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this today at watsons creek. Pretty sure it's gold but not 100%

Attachments

• 20240908_132923.jpg
    20240908_132923.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
Is it that thin, light-coloured layer that you think is gold? Sorry, but it doesn't look anything like gold to me.

It's possibly the inside of a very corroded metal object (the lid of a container maybe), as I think I can make out a blackened outline that may be rust, around the end of the rock.

Is it that thin, light-coloured layer that you think is gold? Sorry, but it doesn't look anything like gold to me.

It's possibly the inside of a very corroded metal object (the lid of a container maybe), as I think I can make out a blackened outline that may be rust, around the end of the rock.
That's the other side of the rock. Looks like iron ore to me.

Attachments

• 20240908_160947.jpg
    20240908_160947.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
If you've got a strong, rare earth magnet handy, put that on it and see how hard it is to remove the magnet. If the attractinon is weak, it's most likely ore, but if the attraction is strong, it's actual iron metal.
Just tried it . Very weak connection. Come away easily. Then tried magnet other household metals and very hard to pry off.

Latest posts