Water Levels

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyP

Anthony
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm heading out this weekend taking my 3 Boys for a camping trip and their first gold chasing expedition. I was wondering if anyone has been to Tuena recently and if its worth taking my highbanker or if the water has dried up? Happy to go there or Oallen Ford or can anyone suggest a good place to camp just to give them a fun weekend. any ideas much appreciated.
Cheers Anthony.

Mate if I was better organised I'd def be in but this weekend isn't going to work. I'm moving house as we speak ( to Goulburn) and i'm a bit under the pump , I'm really keen to come along to one of these weekends though and once i'm settled would love a trip like this! Thanks a lot for that though.

Hi , went tuena a couple weeks ago , only puddles of water left :( I had to cart material to water , not much fun doin it that way

cheers

Hi mate , yeah might be best to have a look elsewhere.I thought it might be getting pretty scarce. Thanks for that.

AnthonyP said:
Mate if I was better organised I'd def be in but this weekend isn't going to work. I'm moving house as we speak ( to Goulburn) and i'm a bit under the pump , I'm really keen to come along to one of these weekends though and once i'm settled would love a trip like this! Thanks a lot for that though.

Hi Anthony, I'm in Goulburn. I went to the Tuena trip last Easter, and it was very enjoyable. Can't make this weekend's trip though. My 3 teen aged girls are not really interested in prospecting! If you need a hand with the move or just some info about Goulburn, just let me know via PM or email.

Thanks Brumble-gum for the info , likely will leave the sluice at home and kids can just enjoy panning or playing with the detector.

DrDuck , really appreciate the offer and I'll be sure to be in touch. don't know a good removalist do you? haha. can't wait to get settled in Goulburn and start exploring. Iv'e often wondered if anyone has ever found anything in the Wollondilly?

Funny you asked that question, Anthony, because I was researching it just today.

The father of Australian geology, Rev William Branwhite Clarke, found gold in the Wollondilly in the 1840's. I'm not aware of any fields along the Wollondilly, though, so I suspect the finds were localised and or sparse.

I've previously read of people finding fine gold near the old Goulburn waterworks, but not checked there myself.

One of Clarke's books (Reserches in the Southern Gold Fields of New South Wales) can be read here, and there are a few references to the Wollondilly you can find with the search tool. It is generally interesting reading...
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=cUk1AAAAMAAJ

If your just panning watch out for the leaches. I was there early december and the buggers were going for my fingers the second fhey touched the water while I was panning.
And these aren't small leaches either. Some were the size of small snakes. I s#!t you not.
Greg

Haha , not wrong mate I had a bloody bruise for 3 weeks after one had a good chew on me!

My mate has family friends that own a few properties the Wollondilly runs through. I'd like to have a look at least. Once i find out how far north their properties are will def get out there.

Latest posts