Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
`i` did replace the top deck panels some time back as it was 2nd hand and i`d say they rust out mainly as with the side supports from lazy tractor drivers that don`t clean all the dirt out after use.
One thing i try to refrain from is falling into the habit of standing on the deck or using it as a bridge platform to get to the other side.
My guess some operators have lost their feet over the years due to rusty decks and rotor blades.

I'm working on a Cu Mai style blade for a Veggie Chopper, it's coming along nicely

High carbon steel for the core, then 1mm copper (split from 3/4" pipe) and then 2.6mm cladding for the outside of the blade,

It all started off at 200mm x 50mm x 11mm fully Mig welded around the edges, to seal the copper in,

I took it to just past non Magnetic for the first 3 or 4 light hammerings then a tiny bit hotter to draw it about a bit, got it out to 260mm in length and thinned to about 6.5mm

Now just grinding and grinding and grinding,

All sanded to 600 grit and a quick etch in Ferric Chloride and a light sand with 600 grit and then into a very strong Coffee for a final treatment like etching

This is before going into the Coffee solution, the Ferric Chloride tends to make the copper bleed into/onto the steel
20240923_135006[1].jpg

`i` did replace the top deck panels some time back as it was 2nd hand and i`d say they rust out mainly as with the side supports from lazy tractor drivers that don`t clean all the dirt out after use.
One thing i try to refrain from is falling into the habit of standing on the deck or using it as a bridge platform to get to the other side.
My guess some operators have lost their feet over the years due to rusty decks and rotor blades.
the main thing with slasher tops ,don't hose them off use a garden blower ,when hosing them you leave water in a lot of places that should never have water on them hince they start to rust

I'm working on a Cu Mai style blade for a Veggie Chopper, it's coming along nicely

High carbon steel for the core, then 1mm copper (split from 3/4" pipe) and then 2.6mm cladding for the outside of the blade,

It all started off at 200mm x 50mm x 11mm fully Mig welded around the edges, to seal the copper in,

I took it to just past non Magnetic for the first 3 or 4 light hammerings then a tiny bit hotter to draw it about a bit, got it out to 260mm in length and thinned to about 6.5mm

Now just grinding and grinding and grinding,

All sanded to 600 grit and a quick etch in Ferric Chloride and a light sand with 600 grit and then into a very strong Coffee for a final treatment like etching

This is before going into the Coffee solution, the Ferric Chloride tends to make the copper bleed into/onto the steel
View attachment 15141
typical bloody knife maker dave , go and waste perfectly good coffee just to make a flash knife mate 😂
not that i do any of the Cu Mai steels mate but i like that copper line you have there well done dave 👍

typical bloody knife maker dave , go and waste perfectly good coffee just to make a flash knife mate 😂
not that i do any of the Cu Mai steels mate but i like that copper line you have there well done dave 👍
yes it was a difficult decision to put 1/2 a jar of Coffee into a bottle just to soak the blade in over night, but hey it will be wide awake in the morning 🤣