Thoughts on Timbarra fossicking?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Timbarra river bridge fossicking area? 30km outside glen innes heading to grafton. Just been to glen innes/inverell on recent trip digging sapphire. Kinda diff to me usual central qld gemfields... Was speaking to the local at glen innes information centre he gave me maps plus brochures ect... they stated timbarra is good for gold & sapphire. Was also told it's only recently opened up??

That is actually a very old location, used to be known as the Rocky River but as now stated is the headwaters of the Timbarra.
In the past I have suggested it to a few people who mostly came back shaking their head.
Not saying you will have the same result, but it has been hammered.

I would be looking more to the SE of GI, Mt. Mitchell/Oban River way. It would require some research and permission if on private land.
But it is there if you dot your i's and cross your t's.
mike

LW / Fingy

I think the location Fingy refers to is where the Timbarra/Rocky R. Crosses the Grafton road a couple of km. W of where the Old Grafton road comes out (about 30km. E of GI).

Access is a track on the N side of the highway, a long way S and higher in elevation of where any cyanide contamination exists.
I would be more wary of the old arsenic mine at Emmaville!

For easy access, I would be having a scratch in the Swanbrook creek at the o/n rest area W of GI on the Inverell road.
When the new bridge was being constructed, many tons of excavated creek wash was dumped on the SW side of the road just past the entrance to a property.

I know a couple who specked a lot of good stones from there before the grass took over.
mike

Latest posts