DD in mono, Mono in DD on 4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've got a commander "10 X 5 DD" in mono you'll get lots of small gold if it's there, however not much depth.
A DD in DD is good in trashy areas because you can use the discriminator to ignore ferrous rubbish.

A DD coil will work in both DD or mono modes, but a mono coil will not work in DD mode.
A DD coil is essentially two separate D shaped coils side by side and overlapping in the centre by an inch or so along their straight sides.
When a mono signal is used it feeds to only one coil (the right coil from memory) and the left coil becomes inactive.
The effect is that the active shape then becomes a roughly semi-circular shaped mono coil eg for a round 11” DD coil the effective size becomes roughly a 11 x 6 lopsided D shaped mono coil.
Despite its unusual shape I used it very successfully on a GP extreme as back then larger mono coils did not handle difficult soils very well. The smaller 11 x 6 mono thus created was much less affected by the ground picked me up many small nuggets missed in the DD mode.
In terms of depth, I would be hard put to say whether the half size mono was losing me any depth over the full size DD, but I started to use the mono configuration as my default marking my transition from DD to mono searching.
It was only when the technology created in later machines made mono mode much stabler that larger mono coils became the normal search mode for most people.
An advantage even today would be that if you are unable to afford or the ability to carry a dedicated small elliptical mono coil then using a DD in mono would be an option. Also, if the ground noise conditions were found to be really patchy or working in trash areas having both DD and mono modes available at the flick of a switch could also be an advantage.
Remember though for pinpointing purposes that the left side of the round DD coil when running in mono will not be sensitive

Latest posts