Strange finds in the goldfields?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a recent prospecting trip my partner and I were swinging our SD2300's along the banks of a small dry creek (Wilsons Patch - WA) where we had previously found gold. We had found a few tiddlers when partner called out: "Have a look at this!"
I bounded across the creek expecting to see a a clunker in her hand.
True as I write here, in her hand she held a fishing fly?
How and why would this be here in this remote area where the creeks only ever flow after days of continuous rain?

Fly2.jpg

I wish I could find the photo of the fully intact 4ft empty glass aquarium i found tumbled in the lantana at a creeks edge about 10km into a forest

Being beyond belief I had a good look around and realised there was a bit of a track about 6m above on the thickly vegetated bank slope. I presume it was pushed off that.

I still couldnt believe someone had bothered to take it all that way to dump it part of the way along a goat track.

That fly will go back thousands of years ago after the glaciers melted and that creek was a river back then. I hope you put it back because it is of archaeological significance.

Regards Axtyr.
Think you nailed it, well you had me hooked for a second.🤣😂