NSW a Minefield of Rules Simplified (hopefully).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have been able to find out an EL overwrites any permission so the holder of the EL must give consent. Getting consent is like finding an honest politician, near impossible.
I have so many unanswered emails I have given up.
In NSW if the LGA is a gazetted Fossicking District then there's no requirement for permission from the EL holder (as long as you have landowner/landmanager permission & you're not encroaching directly on the area of exploration activities).
This is the only benefit of becoming a Fossicking District as all other permission requirements still stand.
And yes, good luck getting a reply or permission outside of Fossicking Districts - in nearly 20yrs I've had 2 responses (from dozens of requests). 1x yes & 1x no.

From Fossicking: A Guide to Fossicking NSW:

Screenshot_20240929_132506_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/meg.site/mining-and-exploration/fossicking-nsw

Last edited:
View attachment 15224this is the map that counts. Dalmorton is off limits anywhere near the river so hard going to get up in the hills by foot to legally have a pan which is a shame. Most of northern nsw is the same story
Ffs I think I enjoyed this more when I had no idea. Literally everywhere I like to go is illegal 😂

Was heading to dalmorton on the 25th for 5 nights, won't bother now. Backup plan was Bingara. I guess I'll start checking that out on minview. Safe to say whenever I was panning there is probably illegal too. Just makes you want to give up as the casual Prospector.

This is very depressing. Looks like the entire Bingara area has been claimed under some lease including all of the state forest. I'm at my witts end now, I think I'll just take a pan and my shit 4wd so if they want to take my gear they won't get much

Screenshot_20241001-005259_Chrome.jpg