Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just joined the forum. Looking fwd to learning and improving my prospecting.
I wish I had been quicker on the raffle tickets.
I currently sluice/ pan with my mate Angus Mckirk- i have two. the "Foreman" and "Expedition", and a little "Grizzly" bank sluice.
I have an old minelab musketeer detector, but I haven't ever had any luck with it.
Live west of Sydney, and Sunny Corner or the Turon are my places to go, for now.
Great Forum.

Welcome Hillbilly, Thats a good mate to take panning. Plenty of forum members hit up those spots, best of luck. Balx

1395264186_photo_1.jpg

Hi all
As per a previous post I offer the below script as an introduction
My user name is Misty a nick name for my grand daughter who at present will be the recipient of any gold I find
I have been registered and reading this forum only for about 4 weeks
The accompanying photo is about 10 grams of Kiwi colour that my son and I found when I was In NZ in early February ( compared to a NZ $1 coin which is slightly larger in diameter than the Aussie $2 coin)
The largest nugget was "beeped" with a Gold Bug 2 all the rest was from a home made sluice and "crevice picking" in a creek about 2 hrs from my sons house. This collection was over a period of 4 individual trips. As well as the occasional bullets and a very old silver plated bread ??? knife handle that sang very well on the GB2 in wet fine gravel approx. 10 inches deep
I am here in NSW as an aviation contractor and will be returning to NZ at retirement Oct 2015.
While only in the last two years over here I have been more keen on coin-gold finding/detecting in my younger days on hunting trips on the West Coast of the South Island I did used to have a bit of a 'pan' using the camp frying pan hopefully to see some colour but no experience and probably the wrong location I soon lost interest. Deer seemed to be easier targets.
My son has re-ignited that interest and on his advice I hunted around and found this forum where I am sure I will glean some advice on where to go (in a nice way) and hope meet up with some of you guys via this forum or in person.
I do occasional coin searching with a Jack Lange Special which I intend to upgrade soon .... (( Maybe with one of the X-terra 705s which I have tickets for in the Easter raffle.))
I enjoy reading this forum and have come to the conclusion that you are all a very friendly and generous mob
who freely give good advice and information especially to newbies.
Thanks to all
Regards
Misty

Hi Misty, welcome. I 've been to the South Island a few times and do particularly like the west coast area around Hokitika - plenty of colour to be found still but as yet I have'nt taken any prospecting equipment with me (bags usually to full with snowboarding gear). Would love to combine my loves of snowboarding, mountainbiking and prospecting into a long leisurely look around the South Is in the near future. Good luck prospecting in Oz

Welcome to the forum Misty. The Land Down Under and the Land of the Long White Cloud have much in common when it comes to hunting for gold. Good amounts of gold are on offer for a relatively small number of serious prospectors.

NZ has a huge advantage when it comes to water, and sniping for gold is a very productive method over there. Hope finding the forum broadens your insight into the many techniques available in prospecting, and hope the information within the threads helps clear up any questions you may have.

All the very best of luck with it and hope the adventure brings much enjoyment.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts