Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all i am new to this forum but not new to gold prospecting but have done any since 2009 when i did some detecting around bendigo with a ML 6000 with not much success I did have better results back in 1990 with ML 2000 in the same area my largest nugget was 10 grams and i was getting a half ounce a week i know this sounds alot but gold was only 500 an oz with the 2000 i was getting nuggets down to .25 of a gram ,when i went back 20 years later with the better detector i got nuggets .1 of a gram or smaller and i never found a nugget over 2grams with a better detector
i have also done alot of dredging in the Goulboun river upstream of jamieson as well as the big river and in queensland[ mulgrave rive]rthe best there was wracker creek triburary of the north johnstone near innisfail this was as in the 1980s its probably all bannana farms or houses now
Dredging was legal in victoria until 1990 i dredge until 1992 i never done any detecting along the goulburn river there a lot of nuggets found some very large by the dredgers me included
the banks have been dug out buy the old timers just about the whole length some is pretty hard to get to there a walking/ bike track above snake creek
the other place to keep in mind is the big river under lake Eildon the plenty of gold down there when the lake goes down this was not dredged much

thanks woomera for that link to dredging in goulburn and big rivers i did not start until 1984 some good photos there i do know Lubo and Russel i started of using small dredges and got larger finally a 7 inch sub surface useing that barfell hose . i do not have one photo only one Rick stock took of the large nuggets we found 27 & 21 ,5 ounces

Latest posts