New land needing direction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you please give me some feed back on starting area of this new private property. Photo's attached

from reading on here I gather the old creek bed rather than the present creek but thought it better to ask than panning in vain.

I'll be using a pan and classifiers that were the grand parents (waiting to find colour to upgrade)

The creek is mostly dry with water normally only visible at the bed rock. Photos taken after a good amount of rain so only really flows fast if it floods.

cheers
Zucco

1432532201_area_1-1.jpg

1432532201_area_1-2.jpg

1432532201_area_1-3.jpg

First area is the old creek bed fed from two creeks
1432532241_area_2-1.jpg

second area the creek runs pretty slow but narrows and has trees and tree roots in the middle
1432532430_area_3-1.jpg

larger area with lots of sand on the bottom
1432532500_area_4-1.jpg

this area has some crevices in the rock face under the water.
1432532575_area_5-1.jpg

1432532575_area_5-2.jpg

last area is one of only two areas that always has water flowing and gets a bank of sandy deposit

Hey there Zucco,

That looks like a cracka of a spot to dig and the possibilities are endless. There are so many juicy looking spots there to try and find colour. The exposed wash layer in the top pics looks good and try and sample some of that from on top of the bedrock. Other than that you could take your pic from any of the exposed crevices in those big rocks jutting out from around the creek bed.

Bloody envious of you to have access to such a nice spot, hope it goes well for you :)

Hi Dave, have you researched your area? Is it close to gold bearing areas or in one? Have you looked for signs that the old timers haf been there?
Even if there is no gold history in your area I would still be sampling the creek area, I would start with that old wash layer- try looking for the biggest rock in that wash and break it free- pan the gravels from around it and see what shows up.

I'd then find some crevices and bottom them out, panning as you get deeper.

Keep an eye out for clay layers, making sure you pan them individually if they change colour.

Great looking area. Look forward to hearing how you go and seeing a few more pics.
Reeko

That's a great looking spot Zucco, Just wants me to get out there with youIs the location in Victoria or NSW.

Happy hunting I'm sure you will do well there :)

Cheers and thanks for posting those beautiful photo's.

Cheers Reeko and gravity

The land is in NSW between ben Bullen and Mudgee so I kind of think it might be in the right area the creek feeds into the
Cudgegong river system which from what I have read has ruby's Safire's and gold but where I am is in the upper catchment.

I haven't been able to see any diggings or remnants of the old timers but I've only just stated going.

There isn't much clay from the few scratching's that I have done it is more rocky mostly yellow and red but you can get down to fine black sandy/metal looking material.
there is a lot of quartz around mostly white with some yellow orange specks in it. It makes it hard to know if I am getting any gold with the colour of the rocks but I think I just need to improve my panning.

Cheers

Pick a couple of bottle neck sections of the creek with exposed bedrock in the "middle sections" of the creek. Sample the bedrock cracks and do the same at intervals of 100 metres or so down the creek. If there's a few flakes of gold amongst the black sands then you'll have concluded there's gold within the system. If no gold shows up in the obvious traps, then nothing worthwhile will show up within the rest of the creeks deposits.

Best of luck with it... if there's a few flakes in the test pans the creek looks good for some serious work. You're in the right region so you never know. Many creeks in the Mudgee system which shed from the right line of faults contain gold, and many adjacent creeks are barren. It's a lottery up there but many winning tickets have been stumbled across.

Wal.

Don't forget to detect the slopes as gold could often get caught between the rocks, just take your time low and slow and try to trace the area's you've covered
We used to do this with with pegs and string from left to right from one bank to the other there's a little work involved but minimises the chance of not going over the groundothers would use a chain but this difficult to do on steep slopes. It all looks very promising specially when you know it could be virgin ground.

Cheers and happy hunting.

looks can be deceiving but the initial colour of the rocks and soil doesn't look very mineralised or concentrated, possibly because that gully might flush out once every few years. id be doing as wal said, find some fast thin water followed by an opening and test the drop out zones, break open some crevices and if you cant find a colour then don't break your back. but if you do the fun starts.

I always look for a proof area, something that 100% should show colour if there's gold there and i dig down as far as i can be bothered until i hit something that looks good to pan. if i have more time i'll pan all the way down.

take some time to walk around looking for quartz or ironstone or any other indicators form the area. proof is always in the geology mate good luck

kawman]this may interest you mate...

Kawman, that was great reading and making me even more excited I am some where between pryumal creek and codggergong so I guess I have a lot of digging to do over the long weekend.

Hope to have some colour for show a tell. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts