Mum and two boys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My boys are heading to Victoria. We are stopping at Claremont first. We have looked at some detectors but the one I want is $3500 the 4500 mine lab one everyone wants! Ive seen some kids ones also under a thousand. Pans look like the only option for now. I need advise about dry panning because water is not easily available out bush. I also eventually will buy a proper gold sluice to run in a creek. Ive ordered some maps on line, topographic with gold digging sites etc. But any advice regarding anything Ive mentioned would be fantastic! Not out to become a millionaire just a hobbit while homeschooling covering geology and geography at the same time etc. plus get some fitness & burn some energy of two active 9 & 7 yr olds! Cheers Belle

Hi belle,welcome to PA, i was shown how to dry pan by a old mate, that sadly is no longer with us, the method that he showed me, he called winnowing (not sure how to spell it) but the basic's is' blowing over the classified wash in the pan with your own breath,when you get down to about a tablespoon of wash left in the pan put it in a bucket and take it back to camp and wet pan it off,you must classify the wash,i classify to 1/4",pick the bigger bits out and winnow what is left in the pan.I do not know how to put links up but on you tube, if you type in( Banjo Pan used Dry) it will give you the basic's on how to winnow,if you use a standard gold pan you will have to classify,also if you type in NQ explorer's he will show you another way to dry pan, it is up to you wich way you go, but i prefer to use the winnow method,hope this helps and happy panning :goldpan:

Hi Belle, I honestly recommend you think about hiring an sdc2300 for a few days they are so easy to use and will find lots of gold and other targets and is sure to keep the kids interested.
Cheers Booney

Belle " if you are thinking of scoring gold in dry areas that have been flogged out ' detectors will not give you enough returns .
Get a dry dirt consentrator , then you have a chance to be in the money ! :)

Good luck
Jack

Outback said:
Belle " if you are thinking of scoring gold in dry areas that have been flogged out ' detectors will not give you enough returns .
Get a dry dirt consentrator , then you have a chance to be in the money ! :)

Good luck
Jack

You really should declare yourself here Jack.

Consider starting small, hiring equipment, be sure the kids and you enjoy it in the long term. Probably more fun to pan wet where there is water - and I sometimes carefully collect good stuff to pan in large bags (really strong ones like from prospectors supplies and others, perhaps 40 plus litres) and take a few full ones to a creek that has water, Dry-panning is not nearly as efficient and you can toss away gold.

The issue with detectors is "mineralised" ground - ironstone. There are a lot of goldfields that don't have that problem (I could advise) - in which case you can buy a simple detector for a fraction the price (but don't get a toy one - seek advice from the guys here) and only detect in those places. But hiring may prove most economical.

You sound organised! I reckon you will do OK - the boys are lucky.

My suggestion would be to buy a cheaper detector and a good pinpointer. Start by treating it as a STEM topic ie Using modern technology to find lost history/treasures (skills required - research, mapping, maths, archeology, geology, electronics, chemistry physics etc). Finding gold is hard, finding treasure in backyards, old hall grounds, parks is easier, and you will pass these everywhere you travel. Plus a seive and pan for wet areas, dry panning would suck for kids starting out.

Hi Belle welcome aboard. The guys and gals here have givin you some.great advice. I'll add by saying be aware of your location as it's easy to get lost while detecting. Watch out for mine shafts and keep an eye on the time.
I always take basic first aid and some matches.
Anyway have fun and post up your gold pics :D