Miners huts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a sad state of affairs for the Welcome Stranger monument.
I would not necessarily blame local historical societies for the state of many of our historical markers. I think the importance of the Welcome stranger monument and even the Hand of Faith marker (installed by the PMAV) require adoption by government as markers of national historical and tourist significance. Whenever I visit either site, I feel a sense of awe come over me almost as if I had completed a pilgrimage to find myself standing in that place.
Sadly, governments at all levels see the dollars they rip off taxpayers as better spent buying votes with multi-billion dollar projects rather than some of the smaller things that are important to the cultural ethos of Australians.
Maybe electors in the Moliagul area could ask their candidates in the next state elections what are they going to do about it rather than have poorly funded local historical societies go begging for pittances to do jobs that should be properly funded by government.

I came across the Hand of Faith marker purely by accident and was struck by the significance of the place. It's a pity there isn't a more informative interpretive sign to explain it. Good on the PMAV for the sign, but it shouldn't be up to them to honor historical sites.
From memory the actual site of the discovery is about 50-100 m into the scrub behind the track side sign. The PMAV have supplied and installed a plaque set in concrete to mark the exact spot.

From memory the actual site of the discovery is about 50-100 m into the scrub behind the track side sign. The PMAV have supplied and installed a plaque set in concrete to mark the exact spot.
Thanks Hawkear, I wished I hade have known that at the time. I figured the sign was just a general location marker.

Latest posts