How can I get phone service in outback WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an unlocked Samsung phone into which I can put a Telstra Sim. The phone has no antenna socket. What is the most economical way to improve signal. My older phones had a socket to plug an antenna cable in with a 15 ft cable to antenna which I could elevate to get a signal.

Celfi booster, you can get them on a plan through Telstra or google the net, I’ve just upgrade my internal antenna so it boosts a decent radius around the 4wd as the one that comes with it is only good for when your sitting in the car.

we have Starlink it great for internet and phone calls send and receive anywhere in Australia, it uses WiFi calling but you will still need some kind of Sim card in your phone, we have the boost mobile pre paid and all good

With the boosters u need a minimum of 1 bar otherwise they won't work,starlink way to go cost of a cup of coffee a day switch on and off when u want it, no brainer

I've just bought the Starlink Mini. It seems to work very well just pointing at the sky, I haven't even tried to align it with the satellites but it's not cheap. The hardware is $799 but I got it in Narellan JB HiFi for $740 and then it's $80 a month if you login during that month.

Flatlanders right you do need a small amount of signal with the Celfi, but that’s off the antenna not the phone, I’ve had no service on the phone but walk up to the car and the booster has signal.
My antenna sits on the top of a rooftop tent about 12 foot of the ground when open though.

I’m like Moneybox, I’ve been waiting for the mini to come out, but I’m a little confused on powering it as the website said the 12v cable is coming soon.
I don’t have a van and don’t need an inverter so I think Starlinks on hold until next year for me.

Flatlanders right you do need a small amount of signal with the Celfi, but that’s off the antenna not the phone, I’ve had no service on the phone but walk up to the car and the booster has signal.
My antenna sits on the top of a rooftop tent about 12 foot of the ground when open though.

I’m like Moneybox, I’ve been waiting for the mini to come out, but I’m a little confused on powering it as the website said the 12v cable is coming soon.
I don’t have a van and don’t need an inverter so I think Starlinks on hold until next year for me.
Spacetek are doing 12v conversion for the starlink gear.
FWIW, I run mine off a cheap 300w inverter through my second battery and turn it off when not in use. I think it used about 3-4w when running from memory.
I will get around to converting it to 12v one day I suppose

I believe it can be successfully operated on one of those little power packs that you buy to charge your phone. I've just have it plugged into the 240v from the inverter but I will setup a 24v cable for it because there no point in converting 24v to 240v and then back again.

I'm on it now halfway across the Nullarbor, very convenient with it sitting on the dash facing out the glass.

No, just one of these...

View attachment 15018
That specific one may work fine for powering starlink but its advertised capacity is a crock as 200 000mAhr is 200 Ahr.

A genuine lithium battery of that capacity would be twice the size of a normal 4wd battery, even if it is a LiPo and cost over a grand.

For myself, I am just going to wait 2-3 more years by which time Samsung should have sat capability on their S phone.

Apple already have sat connection for emergency alert / roadside assistance and now normal SMS on iphone 14 +IOS18. It is expected to get voice calls in a couple of years too

Latest posts