Hi From SW Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI all,

My names Ryan and I've recently moved down to Sydney from Darwin where i had some small success with fossicking. After many hours of ground work up north i have now moved south and have a blank canvas to start researching gold in NSW. I mainly pan gold with my son as he is very keen and it gets him outdoors. He is only 6 and spends most of his time smashing rocks and watching videos on you tube about gold. I am thinking of taking him for a weekend up to sofala to have a look so any pointers on areas we are clear to start out with would be a great help, i'm not out to get rich i just want to get my kid out of the house. Im also looking at getting him a small high banker to use so he can shovel all day and pan at night,so if you have some advice on something suitable for him or have an old one you want to offload please let me know.

Thanks for any help and i hope i can contribute to the forum in the future.

Cheers

Ryan

Hi Ryan welcome to the site. I suppose it's good to get out of that humidity up there and be in a more temperate climate. I don't think you'll like winter much though. Happy hunting mate.
Jack ;)

Welcome Ryan

Have you checked out the DYI plans yet? A good project for wet weekends. Search for 'walbanker'

Welcome Ryan,

Anywhere from Sofala, Turondale (Cols Bridge), Hillend (down Bridle Track) and up towards Mudgee from there is Hargraves, Avisford, Windeyer, Pyramul etc. All have gold in the rivers/creeks. My 1st pick would be Cols Bridge Turondale as easy access and plenty of spots to choose from. Good luck and i hope you and your son get plenty of the yella stuff.

Thanks for the replies, i will probably take him for an overnight trip so anywhere that has a good spot to throw a swag will be a bonus. I will look into knocking up my own high banker, its just a matter of finding time.The walbanker looks great, i might even be able to modify it so its small enough to get the little bloke to lug it everywhere, i just have to be able to keep up with him, he doesnt have an off button.

Ive been browsing the forum over the past few days, seeing as i am housebound after just having a shoulder reconstruction. I have been sourcing all the gear to knock up a walbanker. I think my young bloke will enjoy building it as well and im sure it will make every spec of gold that comes out of it a little more significant.

I would also like to take my hat off to wal, the time that he has for people and the knowledge that he is willing to pass on is commendable.

I am thinking of maybe heading oberon way as it is a little closer to me than turon. If anyone could help me out on where to start looking for a bit of a trial it would be great. I cant see me leaving the house for another couple of weeks yet but would like to have things sorted for hen i am set free.

Thanks in advance

Latest posts