Hey from Armidale NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a new member who's just moved to Armidale for study. I'm from the coast so it'd a bit of a change haha.

I love bush walking and just experiencing nature, I'm studying zoology so it goes in hand with it all.
I've never really panned or dug for anything but if any one has any tips that would be good. I'd love to find smoky quartz and petrified wood but honestly just any places that are nice to visit in the area and what equipment do people use in terms of back packs and even clothing? I had to replace my old boots and shirt already because the bush ruined them.

I drove out to Torrington for a trip just to explore and stopped off at Emmaville which has a great mining museum if you're ever in the area

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm a new member who's just moved to Armidale for study. I'm from the coast so it'd a bit of a change haha.

I love bush walking and just experiencing nature, I'm studying zoology so it goes in hand with it all.
I've never really panned or dug for anything but if any one has any tips that would be good. I'd love to find smoky quartz and petrified wood but honestly just any places that are nice to visit in the area and what equipment do people use in terms of back packs and even clothing? I had to replace my old boots and shirt already because the bush ruined them.

I drove out to Torrington for a trip just to explore and stopped off at Emmaville which has a great mining museum if you're ever in the area
Welcome to PA, Rockhounder23.

Here's an old post that details quite a few interesting locations in that vicinity:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/the-servern-river-near-emmaville.5831/post-69811

Also, this one:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/torrington-help-for-historic-mines.41962/

Down the road Uralla has fine gold in black sand in that district & some areas around the river where you will cut bare feet there`s that much crystal.
I`ve seen the produce but have never ventured around there.
Welcome to PA.

Welcome to PA, Rockhounder23.

Here's an old post that details quite a few interesting locations in that vicinity:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/the-servern-river-near-emmaville.5831/post-69811

Also, this one:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/torrington-help-for-historic-mines.41962/
Oh wow thank you, I've seen the other post but that one with more info is great. I stopped out at Kookabookra and stopped off to check out some cows, apparently that was the spot haha. I'll have to go back out with more information though for sure, I couldnt find the tennis court but based off that post I actually stopped there as well haha

Down the road Uralla has fine gold in black sand in that district & some areas around the river where you will cut bare feet there`s that much crystal.
I`ve seen the produce but have never ventured around there.
Welcome to PA.
Yeah I've checked out Uralla, it's a nice little spot, I'll have to look for the spots around the river, I've just stuck to the main water way

Latest posts