GPX6000 Coils, Opinions Sought

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mountaineer. Your help has been invaluable. I am feeling more positive about the weight issue and are looking at coil options to keep weight down a little without compromising the overall efficiency of the 7000, if that is possible. Detecting less hours per day and getting better results is my aim.
What coil or coils are you using with your 7000?
PS - Has anyone used the Nugget Finder Z Search 12" coil? Any feedback welcome.
Thanks

I used the Z Search coil on my 7, never used any other coil, it found tiny pieces as well as multi gram pieces at depth, and it ran quiet, settings and getting to know your machine are the key to getting good results.
Thanks for your feedback. That is good to hear. It gives me an alternative if the standard coil is not working out for me. Agree fully with your final words of wisdom.

I really want to see a 15" round with same ultralightweight construction as the ML 11" become available but alas nothing in sight.
If we are to believe the math to find the equivalent size of a round coil to an elliptical coil, then the 17"x 13" coil would be equivalent in depth to a 15" round.

If we are to believe the math to find the equivalent size of a round coil to an elliptical coil, then the 17"x 13" coil would be equivalent in depth to a 15" round.
Very true 17 +13 =30/2 =15.

I havent used the ML 17x 13 but I have seen 2 different weights quoted - 800g and 1106g. If it was 800g then i would be very interested as that is lower than the Coiltek Goldhawk 14x9 (900g).

At 600g the ML 11 coil is very light for its size. It is actually the same weight as a 8x6 Sadie !

The ML 11 is a very lightweight construction. It doesnt even have a base plate - the skid plate is the base.

Can someone with a ML 17x13 GPX6000 coil weigh it for me?

Very true 17 +13 =30/2 =15.

Can someone with a ML 17x13 GPX6000 coil weigh it for me?
Yes, I agree with that math and also if you were to squash 17"x13" elliptical coil into a round it should create a 15" diameter round coil.

Okay since I also have and use the 17x13 coil along with my spare lower shaft still connected I then placed the coil with the shaft on my scales which displayed a total weight of 1023g.

Also, in my opinion, I have been surprised how well the 17"x13" depth tested on my Gpx 6000 when compared to my tests results on the same large test pieces with the Gpx 5000 in its Fine Gold setting and an 18" mono coil.. Unfortunately, those large test pieces are not of the yellow variety.

Last edited:
The attached link on Dectector Prospector shows current GPX-6000 coil sizes, weights, and areas.
GPX 6000 Coil Chart
Thanks.

1100g is more than I am willing to swing these days and having tasted the freedom of wires, bungees, harness etc that the 6k provides I cant go back, I wont go back, I just cant :(

I note in the D-P table 10x16 spoked NF (=13") is 800g but I dont think that coil is actually available and i dont think I would pay for effectively just 2" extra.

A 15" spoked NF Evo is 995g so maybe my hopes of a 850g 15" are too optimistic.

Yes, I agree with that math and also if you were to squash 17"x13" elliptical coil into a round it should create a 15" diameter round coil.

Okay since I also have and use the 17x13 coil along with my spare lower shaft still connected I then placed the coil with the shaft on my scales which displayed a total weight of 1023g.

Also, in my opinion, I have been surprised how well the 17"x13" depth tested on my Gpx 6000 when compared to my tests results on the same large test pieces with the Gpx 5000 in its Fine Gold setting. Unfortunately, those large test pieces are not of the yellow variety.

Hey Wow shaft plus coil 1023g? that would make it slightly over 900g coil.

Hmm it is back in the race...I will have to borrow one next time I am out in company.

Thanks Mountaineer. Your help has been invaluable. I am feeling more positive about the weight issue and are looking at coil options to keep weight down a little without compromising the overall efficiency of the 7000, if that is possible. Detecting less hours per day and getting better results is my aim.
What coil or coils are you using with your 7000?
PS - Has anyone used the Nugget Finder Z Search 12" coil? Any feedback welcome.
Thanks
Thank you NedK, I am so happy I could be of help!
As for coils, I use both the 14" standard Minelab coil and... yes, the Nugget Finder Z Search 12" coil!
I'd have to quote Dave's Office here, because I agree completely! Probably the 14" Minelab has some advantage in depth (from my testing, I'd say 30-40 mm on a 3 gram nugget), but it is definitely not as quiet as the NF 12", and not having to foot scrape all day long chasing false signals is a great bonus! Plus it is lighter and easier to pin-point small gold with. I think to have both would be ideal! Finally, yes, don't be too worried with weight, as you say it is better to detect less hours but with a better chance of success. Cheers!

Last edited:
Great feedback regarding the coils. Chasing false signals is tiring especially in hard clay and is one thing I am certainly trying to avoid. It can take the fun out of detecting. Swinging the detector is the easy part in comparison.
Thanks again.

Latest posts