G'day, Newbie from Cairns.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday, total newbie from Cairns. Holiday'd in Rubyvale where I caught the fossicking/specking bug.
Got a Minelab e-Trac MD from a friend, where is best to learn to use it? Am I best to start in sports fields and at the beach?
I'm up the Northern Beaches and would totally appreciate any tips on where to go around here to start learning what all the beeping means.
Cheers

Hi Sharlala, welcome to PA.

That eTrac is a very good detector once you get the hang of it and I reckon the best place for you to start would be at the beach, as there are almost always some good targets to be found and the digging is easy. It's a multi-frequency detector, so it will work well in both dry and wet sand and even in shallow water! Just be sure to keep the control box dry and rinse off the coil and stem after any immersion.

I've attached the Instruction Manual for the detector to help you figure it out.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• Minelab E-trac Instruction Manual.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Gday, total newbie from Cairns. Holiday'd in Rubyvale where I caught the fossicking/specking bug.
Got a Minelab e-Trac MD from a friend, where is best to learn to use it? Am I best to start in sports fields and at the beach?
I'm up the Northern Beaches and would totally appreciate any tips on where to go around here to start learning what all the beeping means.
Cheers

I'd be very careful around sport fields. Imagine the damage that could be done to anybody attempting a swift mauver and stepping into freshly disturbed soil. They could sustain a serious injury that can effect them throughout their lifetime.

Cheers
Trinity Beach used to be my go to beach, payed for my first detector ( Minelab explorer SE ) Then started on parks and playing fields. Do NOT dig holes in parks and playing fields, when you get going in the hobby get your self a pin pointer detect the target and then locate it with the pin pointer then probe it, I had a modified thin screw driver, for a coin you are not going very deep just in the root system so you can just pop it out and very hard to see the ground has been disturbed.
I haven't done this for a long time been going to get back into. As I am in Cairns I can get you started if you like.

PS start on the beach get to know your machine.

Hi Sharlala, welcome to PA.

That eTrac is a very good detector once you get the hang of it and I reckon the best place for you to start would be at the beach, as there are almost always some good targets to be found and the digging is easy. It's a multi-frequency detector, so it will work well in both dry and wet sand and even in shallow water! Just be sure to keep the control box dry and rinse off the coil and stem after any immersion.

I've attached the Instruction Manual for the detector to help you figure it out.

Best of luck!
Thanks so much!

Trinity Beach used to be my go to beach, payed for my first detector ( Minelab explorer SE ) Then started on parks and playing fields. Do NOT dig holes in parks and playing fields, when you get going in the hobby get your self a pin pointer detect the target and then locate it with the pin pointer then probe it, I had a modified thin screw driver, for a coin you are not going very deep just in the root system so you can just pop it out and very hard to see the ground has been disturbed.
I haven't done this for a long time been going to get back into. As I am in Cairns I can get you started if you like.

PS start on the beach get to know your machine.
Thanks đź‘Ť

Great information, last thing I want is to go upsetting people by blundering in and doing the wrong thing. I'm reading up on fossicking etiquette and history of Cairns, Old Town and mining, trying to learn.
I'd be very careful around sport fields. Imagine the damage that could be done to anybody attempting a swift mauver and stepping into freshly disturbed soil. They could sustain a serious injury that can effect them throughout their lifetime.

Latest posts