Food Labelling Overhaul

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave's Office

Have Detector Will Travel
Reaction score
It's been reported that food manufacturers are going to be made to have health star ratings for everything they sell under a Federal Government overhaul. I often have a box of Milo Bars in my boat for a quick snack when I'm fishing and the health star rating on them is 4 stars, now I'm no expert but I doubt that you could call a Milo Bar health food.

I hear you loud and clear Dave on labelling, for only yesterday I saw a news item which discussed the health aspects of pre packed baby food. It was found that not only did they have massive amounts of sugar but also the ingredients listed was not was in the package. Should I be surprised, not really as we have all been lied to many times.

In the same article that I quoted from Mackka, it said Australia has one of the highest levels of obesity and diabetes in the world and it is directly coralated with the amount of prossesed and fast food that we are eating. Why the F can't the Government make these companies tell people what they are eating.

Because of gst mate. In my experience of some six plus decades, if you tell( advise) someone to do something that will benefit them, they will do the opposite. E.G. - how much did the gov’t ( public money) spend on anti cigarette ads and to what avail? People heard the advise and took up vapes! Don’t do drugs- go to a pill testing station. Honestly, these days I just give up and pray that the next, next generation wakes up to themselves. Rant over from the old fart.

all the preservatives and additives shoved in everything these days to make them last longer(shorter)
bought a pepper sauce the other day at the local and it had the best before date (not the use by date ) that was 18 months past the BBD
it was rotten stank like road kill

took it back and was told that is a best before date not a use by date (question to manager would you eat it -blank stare )
asked for a refund and was told it is a BBD not a UBD
so i spent aprox 2 minutes trying to get the putrid product out of the bottle on the counter in front of him and let him clean the mess up

of course it's healthy dave it's got 4 stars

as the company ceo's are 😏 at the officials as the officials look the other way

just have to look how the natural orange juice was thrown of the shelves big time a few years ago
never been guilty of drinking orange juice but have been guilty of chewing a orange every now and then
too much sugar in it ,it is natural for FS

but you can buy a health bar that is full of carcinogenic artificial sweeteners go figure

still do my own conserves
beetroot
pickled onions sweet and also the bite and forget the funny face
gherkin
tomato sauce
green tomato pickles(when i can buy a 10 kg box of green tomato's getting harder every year)
tomato relish
and not one bloody preservative anywhere and keeps for 12 to 18 months

all the preservatives and additives shoved in everything these days to make them last longer(shorter)
bought a pepper sauce the other day at the local and it had the best before date (not the use by date ) that was 18 months past the BBD
it was rotten stank like road kill

took it back and was told that is a best before date not a use by date (question to manager would you eat it -blank stare )
asked for a refund and was told it is a BBD not a UBD
so i spent aprox 2 minutes trying to get the putrid product out of the bottle on the counter in front of him and let him clean the mess up
No preservatives needed or added these days as everything is coated and sealled prior packaging ( sinical or cynical i`m not shore which ) but Who is going to clean up this Big Mess. An Off Topic (sorry) but it Seriously needs tobe addressed.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1549).png
    Screenshot (1549).png
    266 KB · Views: 0
but they still use them

supermarket meat often goes through a makeover with additives, preservatives, and even a splash of water to plump it up

Like your meat products to be a bright red color? You can thank carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, a large percentage of nitrogen

the 3 gas mixture helps keep the red fresh look
it is safe to eat but it does mess with the perception of the meat being fresh

Latest posts