Do skidplates reduce sensitivity?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess a skidplate would help to retain the value of my GPX6000. Just wondering if a standard skid plate eg from NF, would reduce sensitivity?
Would heavy duty make any further difference to performance?

Skidplates are transparent to the detector fields and are only a couple of mm thick so the distance offset impact is negligible.

At $20-30 for a skid plate vs $200-1000 for a coil they are invaluable insurance.

Also, specifically for the 6000 ML 11" , you HAVE to use a skid plate as there is no bottom to the coil. !

I guess a skidplate would help to retain the value of my GPX6000. Just wondering if a standard skid plate eg from NF, would reduce sensitivity?
Would heavy duty make any further difference to performance?
Some I know won't use them saying that. But i tried on various detectors from Vlf to Pi and could see zero difference having one on. Easier to replace the skid plate than the coil.
Was a similar thought about the tape one might use to seal one from dirt getting between the skid plate and coil. Again I tried various tapes and none I tested made the slightest difference. There may have been some that people told me about but I cant verify either way, that if you waved the roll of tape in front of the coil it gave a slight threshold change.
None I ever got did that regardless of colour. There was a time when it was, tape, like leprosy in the sd 2000 days and Minelab recommended the use of silk tape lukotape, remember the name wrong, it was this....edit... ...blame my old age. 😆LEUKOSILKGREEN-scaled-4175984484.jpg
which was a one used for medical use. You got it from chemists and cost heaps and wore out faster than cardboard sole shoes. People put it around the edges of the rubbish bin lids to protect them from chipping on rocks.
I could go on but original question, skids dont effect anything sensitivity wise.

Last edited:
it's a mind over matter thing, the people that think i matters to them it does and in reality it's just a feel good thing, you can even tape a 20cent coin to the top of the coil and so long as it don't move it won't matter

I think coils run quieter with skid plates on. Less impact on the actual base of the coil, and less likely to saturate in hot ground. In really bad ground, you can even get the coil further from the ground by adding a thin foam layer between your coil base and skid plate. You are effectively reducing sensitivity, but you will also reduce ground noise.

Latest posts