Did you know this about carbon fibre shafts ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a robust discussion on another forum regarding the use lower carbon fibre rods with highly sensitive VLF and PI detectors when hunting for very small gold. It appears that carbon shafts are electrically conductive and that when any movement of the shaft in relation to the coil will cause false signals to be generated. This apparently is most noticed when the coil is laid flat on the ground for brushing the scoop over the coil to recover targets. This is when the shaft is laying very close to or touching the coil. The smallest vibrations on the coil will cause a response from the shaft...... not good when you’re trying to find tiny gold in your scoop.
The same falsing can occur when in bushes and rocky terrain when you need to pivot and tilt the coil in relation to the shaft.
This was an eye opener to me when I got my pinpointer out and tested the carbon shafts on my Legend. Sure enough they set off the pinpointer.
This trait is particularly prevalent with the Manticore and Nox 900 with small coils. My Legend will also false when I bump the coil on purpose.
The problem is only really going to affect those dedicated small nugget hunters who require absolute stability for picking up there very feint targets. When swinging normally looking for coins, relics, etc. when the coil and shaft are moving together, then there is no issue.
Go get your pinpointer and test your carbon shafts..... you’ll be surprised like me.
Watch this video of Bill Southern showing the issue with the Manticore.... from the 2.30 min. mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts