re cleaned

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just as an experiment i chucked a few of my xterra finds in my hornady case cleaner with corn cob media ( might as well use it for some thing dont do any reloading anymore )left them go for about a day and a half and this is the result . not to bad at all so i have chucked in a heap more some have been pre cleaned and some real cruddy . i will give them a few days then pick out the ones that are good enough and let the rest of them do another few days . i think some of the real crusty pennies might not come out to good but will see what happens .
1518943417_20180218_183124_resized.jpg

i will take a photo of the rest of them in a few days after they have had a while in the tumbler . there is a lot of em in there most of the silvers have been cleaned with soapy water and a nail brush just giving them the tumbler treatment to shine them up a bit more . the corn cob media is very gentle so takes a while .

johno

Random question while talking about media to use in tumblers.How do you guys think the shells off a pistachio nut would go? Mmmm love pistachios.

Phoenix76 said:
So Texta, just what is the composition of this "Corn Cob Media"? I mean, I like the pics of your results, but corn cob media could mean many things. would like to know just what it is. Cheers
its dried and chopped up corn cob . its about the size of raw sugar maybe a little bit bigger and quite hard you can buy it from anywhere that sells shooting gear reloading gear .

johno

Oooooo 8) I have always wanted to throw a few coins into my tumbler as I have stainless steel media for my brass (reoading)

Now that i've seen this I'm keen as... Some nice Shiny coins you got there Champ!

I'm inspired!

texta said:
just as an experiment i chucked a few of my xterra finds in my hornady case cleaner with corn cob media ( might as well use it for some thing dont do any reloading anymore )left them go for about a day and a half and this is the result . not to bad at all so i have chucked in a heap more some have been pre cleaned and some real cruddy . i will give them a few days then pick out the ones that are good enough and let the rest of them do another few days . i think some of the real crusty pennies might not come out to good but will see what happens .https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/192/1518943417_20180218_183124_resized.jpg

If you have some Lemi Shine pop that in there and they will sparkle more than a diamond!!! Works way better than "morning fresh"

Works brilliant on Brass casings - it's like a bought one

texta said:
i will take a photo of the rest of them in a few days after they have had a while in the tumbler . there is a lot of em in there most of the silvers have been cleaned with soapy water and a nail brush just giving them the tumbler treatment to shine them up a bit more . the corn cob media is very gentle so takes a while .

johno

much better than cleaning em by hand :Y:

i would be careful that ya dont put something rare in the tumbler though as im sure you know that it will take the sharp detail off the finish of the coin.

Yep your stainless tumbler with pins will do the job on the coins, but you just need water and a lot of detergent.
Dont use anything else chemical as it will etch some coins.I have had the nickel taken off of modern coins.

The pins alone will do the task with little effort.

Dont ever put in a good coin, it could get trashed fast.

I did put up some images of coins cleaned in my SS tumbler with pins, dish wash liquid and citric acid,
some shiny coins there, but dont use the citric acid as it can be aggressive over time on nickle.

;)

Latest posts