Old Button

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this interesting old button in the greater Braidwood area, on an old gold field.

The words look to be in a Gothic script, and appear to say, from the top, "Double Ring" with "Cage" at the bottom.

Any one have more experience than me at reading such script, and even better, have an idea about the button?

Edit - looks like it says "double ring edge" and that Dron had found one last year.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21485

1533080488_button.jpg

They are quite a common workwear button to find on Victorian and early 1900's era sites, there are several variations including best ring edge and double ring edge, also with a variety of finishes and patterns (black, silver, gilt).

Here's a picture of a black version on the original sales card.

1533082729_best_ring.jpg

Thanks GP very interesting.

Obviously the "warranted not to cut the thread" guarantee was not completely true, given the number that fell off clothing back in the day.

I suppose the double ring edge referred to the actual holes in the middle.

DrDuck said:
Thanks GP very interesting.

Obviously the "warranted not to cut the thread" guarantee was not completely true, given the number that fell off clothing back in the day.

I suppose the double ring edge referred to the actual holes in the middle.

Lol, with the amount of buttons I've found over the last few years (100's), the above sales pitch doesn't exactly ring true. One day I must go through all of the buttons and catalogue them.

Thats a great original collectors piece there GP :Y: where did you find that?

Latest posts