New to the forum and wanted to share this.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1445046645_1886_half_penny.jpg
Hi All,

New to the forum. Bought and Xterra 705 about three months ago and my nine year old son has caught the bug big time(maybe me too!). Anyways, been having fun with him down at the local beaches in Melbourne finding lots of different bits an pieces He had never seen a 1 or two cent coin until now. Any way last night, I planted a two dollar coin in the back yard for him to find and get a bit of practice in and instead he found this to my amazement.

After a photo or two and a google search came up with this. I'm pretty sure the date is 1886 but the coin looks quite corroded(wrong term?).

I guess I'm wondering if this is a rare coin and if I should try and clean it. Have only used soapy water so far.

It is now my boys prized possession and he hasn't stopped showing it to everyone. I can't believe he found it in my own back yard in suburban Melbourne.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Peter. Welcome to the forum.
What an outstanding yard find. We all start in our back yards and it's amazing what can be found. Congrats to the young bloke :D

Took me almost 2 years to get a pre 1900 coin! A great hobby to get him into, (you too).

Keep the pics coming, we all love to see everyone's finds.

I only use soapy water to clean mine. Value.... great first old find for your son ;)

Cheers

Ramjet

Congrats on the find, your son will be hooked now - who needs planted coins. ;)

My footpath revealed some older coins, next nest place to check after cleaning out the yard. :)

Priceless father-son moment and a rare find for Autralian coin hunters.

The silver and gold ones hold commercial value.

Keen to see what the rest of the yard throws up, the history within the ground is the addictive part of the hobby for me.

Awesome start :cool:

Edit..... A light rub with olive oil won't hurt the coin but will help loosen dirt and highlight the colours.

Thanks for the wonderful welcome and the great replies. My son has read all of them and can't wait to dig up the rest of the back yard. Appreciate all the great feedback!

Latest posts