Lastest find with historical Touch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Find below an image of a find from the weekend.....a type of projectile.....lead......looks like a mini ball of some sort.....similar looking from the ones you might see on Youtube from the American Civil War Era.....let me know what you think and many thanks in advance. found at Maitland, NSW.
Regards

Christophe

1463972027_20160516_175509.jpg

Hi AtomRat,

Had a look inside 'the dip', but no markings at all. There are also no ring marks around the outside, which seems common on the projectiles from the US....a bit of a mystery...found in an old horse paddock. Have been watching a lot of clips by this guy called aquachigger on Youtube who digs up lots of these in the US....as soon as I saw it, especially the rim, the creamy colour and being lead, I thought it was some sort of projectile.....

Cheers

Christophe

I found a large two ringer, just a short hop from Maitland....in a churchyard of all places.

Amazing ... Another person pops up from Maitland area :rolleyes:
Thats gotta be one of the most heavily detected places around ;)

Hi all,

thanks for all the replies....ok...so a pistol or a smooth bore rifle....diameter on the bottom is roughly.... 1 to 1.5 cm....hard to be more precise due to compression occurring during impact....again many thanks

Christophe :)

It looks like a solid from a 410 shotgun as the bore's about 1.5 cm
not having one anymore when I did have it I did use solids as well as shot
cheers Harry