I like pretty rocks so I may as well learn how to find them!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Signing up here as it seems that between this and the aussielapidary forum there's a wealth of knowledge and a helpful community. I'm new to the hobby, mostly interested in learning more about geology, finding pretty things (gems, semiprecious gems, curious rocks), and finding more reasons to spend time out in our beautiful countryside.

Unfortunately it seems like a terrible time to get into this haha, given the new NSW rules and my location in the blue mountains. Looks like it's a real headache to get permission outside of state forests/public areas. I don't even know how you ask crownland for permission to sift in a river/creek (do they have lot numbers?, minview gives cadid numbers, is that the relevant thing?) :|.

At least Vulcan state forest is close by, and you can apparently find some 'colour' as those in the know say. Although I went out last weekend and found a lot of quartz but you have to start somewhere.

Hopefully with some trawling of these forums I'll be having better luck in no time, and hey if you want to chime in with any tips on agates/jasper/thundereggs I won't complain ;) Especially since stuff like walking the river down in kangaroo valley etc is a big no-no now so the old recommendations don't stand up so well.