GPX 6000 notes- To dig or not to dig.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkear

Geoff Mostyn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just following up from a discussion on another thread.
I have been getting used to using my 6000.
Up to recently I had been running it in difficult soil and Manual 1.
Even with those settings in certain places and times the noise level was much higher and more uncomfortable to deal with than I had been used to with my 5000. I just hate being assaulted with noise and feel I lose concentration too easily and pass over sounds buried in that noise or chatter that represent very faint targets.
I recently started searching in Auto 1 where the threshold is silent. I felt this was more comfortable than having to contend with lots of chatter and noise that can present in the manual modes.
It still presented a good signal profile for the stronger targets, but the very faint targets seemed to be reduced to just chirps similar to other noises like those for EMI, knock noises etc. With a signal that "pulls you up" the decision to dig is fairly easy but with those faint chirps, devoid of any tonal quality, not so easy.
My first step was to ensure that a chirp was repeating over exactly the same point.
Acting on a tip from Northeast, I reread the 6000 manual (or more correctly just read it) and found when in auto mode the default nulled threshold could be turned back on, and also when in manual mode the default audible threshold could be turned off, by simply pressing the soil button for 2.5 seconds.
As I was running in default auto 1, I found I was able to check those suspect chirps by quickly turning the threshold back on and I found that many of those those faint chirp signals became more distinct signals making it an easy decision to dig them
I have found this search mode and process very handy in deciding what are real signals to dig and what are not.
The ability to search in all the manual levels with the threshold turned off also offers another set of search options.
Just wondering what others think.

That was an option and both are viable, but manual 1-6 also allows in a lot more noise than seems apparent in auto with threshold on which can only be accessed via the soil button.
Awesome...... well now me and a lot more people have just learnt something new..... I'm definitely going to try that..... thank you

Latest posts