First Silver

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up my CTX on Wednesday, found my first pre decimal on it's first outing 1943 Penny. Then this morning headed over to the same area and about 4 metres from the penny out popped a 1927 Three pence. This area was a old bowls club and is now just park land. So much junk and as we have not had much rain up here the ground is very hard and makes working this area quite difficult but persistence will pay off I think. Really loving the CTX coming over from the 705 this machine just separates signals, and love being able to make my own patterns on the computer with not only disc but ID tones for both FE and CO.
1431820191_dsc02320.jpg
1431820217_dsc02316.jpg

I would be interested to know, if the CTX greatly improves your detecting....more good finds, less junk etc than the 705 did. :cool:

rocketaroo said:
I would be interested to know, if the CTX greatly improves your detecting....more good finds, less junk etc than the 705 did. :cool:

To be honest, I still dig lots of junk and there is no machine that is only going to detect the good stuff but you just get so much more information with the CTX and target separation. I had a few targets before the Three pence that I thought that could be a coin but wasn't sure but the Three pence I knew it was a coin and was quietly confident it was a silver coin and there was a bit of rusty steel in the hole with it. I wish now that I had my 705 with me to see whether it got it or not. I use the target trace on the screen and the combined tone ID as this can really give you an idea of whats in the ground around your target tone and separate the tones. I have only spent about 8 hours with the CTX so far so I still have a lot to learn but have read the manual back to front and feel I could still get more out of it, but I have been back to areas that I have been all over with the 705 and found coins that the 705 could not hear even in All metal. To be honest I love the CTX, I found the Penny in the coin mode in full auto mode and I am sure I walked over it with the 705 fully tweaked.

Goldwright, the CTX is complex but as you found the basic settings work a treat. I've had my second hand CTX for about a year now and I love and still don't understand all the settings, I have learned enough to change some basic settings when I'm hunting. I love it.
Yesterday I got the big 17 inch coil which makes the whole thing look like a radar station - very big coil. So far the big coil is picking up stuff I missed in the same spots with the standard coil, the depth estimation seems a bit off but I can live with that.

Good luck - the CTX should keep you happy for a long time.

Latest posts