First predecimal coin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went back to an area that I researched a while ago. I was sure there had to be predecimals there although I hadn't found any on my previous attempts.
Tried alongside what most people assume is just a long mound but is actually the old cob and co track that was built up so they could still get through in flood. Not much of the mound remains, only about 100 metres of ot but it's obvious when you know what was there.
Sure enough 15 minutes and I had my first penny. Unfortunately I scraped it with the spade and chipped a bit off. Haven't cleaned it yet. Photo is as ot came out of the ground. Depth was 5 inches.
1475049969_20160928_175102-1200x1232.jpg

1475049970_20160928_175043-1200x1177.jpg

Congratulations on your first predecimal, might be a bit late for Cobb&co, so might still be a chance of some older stuff a bit deeper down. :)

The general area has been in use for various things since around 1800 so yes I'm thinking there should be older stuff there too. Problem is the area floods every few years so I just dont know how deep it might be.
Plan is to clear to top layer first, then go over again with the big coil for the deeper stuff.
Its a huge area overall, probably going to take years to do the whole reserve.

Sounds like a good plan, I detect in layers generally too, get the easy targets first, clear some junk out and then revist and slow down and swing low.