addict

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all, great forum , been a regular lurker for a couple of years and finally bit the bullet and joined in. First foray into this as i am computer illiterate.
Bought a 705 a few years ago as my first detector as it seemed that it covered coins and gold. Then joined PADIANT to get more info about the hobby.
Wanted a SD2000 when i saw one as a young fella, was totally enthralled that it was possible to find huge gold nuggets in the bush. i now know i should have saved my pennies some more and got a SDC 2300, after all the reading i have done on this forum. Still love the 705 though as i have gridded Mindil beach with it and it has nearly paid for itself.
Cheers, Topenda

Welcome to PA Topenda :Y:
Very easy to make good friends (camping and detecting buddies) here and learn a lot.
There's the occasional bickering and some language, but I've learned heaps and have camped out mainly in the Vic GT with around 40 great members.
Our camps in the forests are tremendous.
It's been a blast for me!
Cheers
BW

Welcome to the forum Topenda...The 705 is a very underrated machine in my Humble opinion...I upgraded mine with the Minelab 15 " and it's a killer on the beach and parks ..although I have not been at it of late...but I was really impressed with it on the few occasions I have had with it on the sand.I'm yet to crank it up on the gold but I hold high hopes the larger coil will improve it's capabilities in that area. Looking to grab an Equinox 800 someday. :D Great to see you have decided to join us and I hope it continues to be a great source of info for you,as I'm sure it will be.Regards Rossco(reefer) ;)

Welcome to the forum Topenda ,Ive always thought that Mindil Beach would be a great beach to detect.I wasnt into detecting when I was up there.I remember being at the markets there and all of a sudden everyone headed down to the beach to watch the sunset. No doubt tourists are dropping all sorts of goodies.

Thanks for the welcome Mackka,
Most of your posts to other members seem to be encouraging and positive from what i have read.
Cheers. :beer: :clap:

Thanks Jaros, i will grab that luck you send with both hands and hold on tight. :Y:

Thank you for the welcome BigWave,
Love camping, was a Victorian once upon a time but class myself as a Territorian these days.
Grove Hill Hotel had meet ups ,not sure if they are still active?
Yes , learned heaps of this forum already and know i have heaps more get my head around.
Will hit the GT one day, love the country.
Cheers :beer:

Thanks Reefer,
The 705 is my first detector and will be holding on to it forever. I bought the 'gold pack' which comes with the 9" concentric and the DD coil for gold.
Does the smaller KHZ ,say 3KHZ go deeper than a higher KHZ coil? Easy digging in the dry sand ;)
Having probs in the wet sand though, even in beach mode. Need to spend more time on it in the wet cause i think i have ridded the beach of all rubbish and coins in the dry sand. :playful: Mainly use the concentic coil,very easy to pinpoint and can hear if it's pulltab or $2 coin,as well as the screen ID.
Bloke with a Equinox 800 could work the wet sand but i was not able to. Love to get one too .
Cheers :Y:

Thanks Silver, only really joined to show off my 'Alien' coin :playful:
Got a couple of other bucket listers to show ya too.
Can not believe my luck. :rainbow:
Started noodling after reading your posts in the Coin Hunting section.
Went to the bank and asked the teller to take out $1000 from my account, she asked "how would you like that , $50's or $100's"....... i said $1 coins please. :playful:
Bank manager came out and asked why and i told him i was looking for a mule. He looked dumbfounded and confused. :D
He toddled off and spoke to someone else then came back and threatened to bar me if i continued to do this. :eek:
Still get my coins now but use the machine in the wall. :fistpump:

Thanks for the welcome Eldorado,
Come back for another visit, markets are starting soon. The weather is great, run off happening, crabs are on the run too , plus great local food at the markets.
Mindil beach is not that big and with the lack of actual dollars and cents in peoples' pockets these days it is really slim pickings now. Also the new Equinox has shown my 705 up but the early bird gets the worm. :Y: Found lots of international coins there, also heaps of empty condom packets, :awful: phones, keys, and of course bottle tops .
No gold rings yet, or pre decimal coins, might try the car park.
Cheers, :beer:

Topenda. Yes, mine is the GOLD PACK MODEL too. Thanks to the amazing generosity of one 7.62 marksman who saw a need and made it happen...I kid you not! :cool: Mine came with the 3Khz Concentric and the 18.75Khz DD so I only have a basic knowledge of these two coils. I seemed to have all soughts of weird stuff on the wet sand with the 3.Khz as well but I have snagged the odd 2$ just short of the hard-packed wet stuff...AT ABOUT 4"INCH with Sensitivity on 15 and threshold up a little from the default setting...maybe that was where I went wrong with it. I usually avoid the wet stuff and used the 18.7where I have done much better in terms of depth with a silver toe ring down about 6-7inchs...that's kind of typical depth I find 2$ and one's at. But it's great at about 3-4 or so. There should be a whole lot of info availed to you in the 'metal detecting section' for there are some real pro's on here who will be only too happy to set you on the right settings and coils for the beaches. Good luck with it all! :Y: :cool:

Topenda said:
Thanks Silver, only really joined to show off my 'Alien' coin :playful:
Got a couple of other bucket listers to show ya too.
Can not believe my luck. :rainbow:
Started noodling after reading your posts in the Coin Hunting section.
Went to the bank and asked the teller to take out $1000 from my account, she asked "how would you like that , $50's or $100's"....... i said $1 coins please. :playful:
Bank manager came out and asked why and i told him i was looking for a mule. He looked dumbfounded and confused. :D
He toddled off and spoke to someone else then came back and threatened to bar me if i continued to do this. :eek:
Still get my coins now but use the machine in the wall. :fistpump:

If you ask your bank to order them in for you they will do it... but charge you a 1% fee on what you order
Just remember not to cr@p where you eat so to speak, or your new coins will start to look awfully familiar after a little while (specially if you are living remote from the rest of the world sort of) :p

Latest posts